Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age

Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Interscope - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 12/06/2000 - 606949068325

Review of "Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age"

published 06/09/2003 | Andy.mack
Member since : 29/08/2002
So after 12 and a half years I've finally made it to Gold, thanks to everyone for the reads, rates and comments since I became a member
Pro 10 pretty good tracks, mellow
Cons 1 not so good track
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret"

A few days ago I was talking to Iain (Soho_black) about CD’s we were currently reviewing, don’t worry mate I won’t name them in case you’re too embarrassed to finish them, but basically they formed a different side to his collection. And that set me thinking, by now you all know how much I love Indie, but I have very rarely touched on the harder rock side of my CD collection, which is strange as it does take up quite a big selection of the CD‘s.

So what did I pull out, none other than Queens Of The Stone Age’s (QOTSA from here on) critically acclaimed album, Rated R. This was the album that got me into the band, somewhat by accident after hearing one of the tracks on Radio 1, then seeing them play Reading a few years ago, I decided to splash my cash on this album. A quality album that was picked up cheap in the HMV sale, like many others before it.

Having been around in many different guises before Queens are made up mainly of 2 guys, Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri with the drummer and other people generally changing on an album by album and even song by song basis. Homme takes up the lead vocals and guitar on all tracks, while Oliveri is the bass player and for this album they have a combination of nick Lucero and Gene Trautmen on the drums. This fact really reinforces the view that Qotsa aren’t just another band, they basically just get there mate in have a jamming session and what ever comes out of it ultimately becomes the next album.

The album opens with the very repetitive, but very addictive in more ways than one, “Feel Good Hit Of The Summer”. The track is basically about drug use and the only words are 6 names of different drugs repeated over and over. May sound a bit boring but let me explain, basically the appeal of this track is in the music. It opens with a loud bass line repeating over before the drums come in and then the guitar and vocals. As I said the lyrics aren’t really anything special but with the guitars leading the track from the front and the drums keeping the beat well it’s a good start to the album.

Then we come to the track that really got me and a lot of other people I know into QOTSA, “Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”. Opening straight out of Feel Good, it opens with a simple drumbeat accompanied by the guitars before Homme’s vocals come in for the verse. The lyrics are sung quite softly and stay that way, even when the song volume wise picks up for the chorus. A well written song that is pretty simple but sounds bloody good. The guitars again lead the track with the drums adding a bit of a distraction, but stay relatively quiet.

Now in a break from my normal ops I’m not going to go through every track, as QOTSA are a band that really have to be listened to, to get the full feel, so I shall skip past “Leg Of Lamb” and “Auto Pilot” and move onto “Better Living Through Chemistry”. This one is a classic opening to a rock song as it has an intro on the Bongo’s, then the guitars come in to join it, before a booming bass line comes in seconds after that.

The vocals are fairly quiet and a little mumbled when they come in but sort of add a bit of atmosphere to the track. The strange thing about this track is though that half way through it stops and almost a completely changes direction and then again about a minute later the guitars and drums stop and then start again. This is one of those tracks I was talking about where they just play and see what comes of it, and in the end they get a bloody good mellow track.

So again giving a miss to “Monsters In The Parasol” and “Quick And To The Pointless” and moving onto “In The Fade”. A quiet intro before the guitars come in with the vocals slowly building up, as the vocals and guitar are the only part of the song. Then the drums come in providing a good beat to accompany some good guitar playing. The start of this song probably shows the best of Homme’s vocals over a whole song. It’s pretty mellow but with a rock back bone. The vocals are chilled and relaxed, with the guitars providing some harder moments in the song.

Right I’ll move onto track 11 now passing by “Tensions Head” a short, mad rock track and “Lightning Song”. And the last track on the album is “I Think I Lost My Headache” and at over 8 minutes long, it is by far the longest track on the album. It has a long intro building up nicely with the drums and guitars keeping good time, but the guitars really taking the lead. And along with being the longest on the album it is probably also the worst. the vocals stop and basically it just seems to meander on without any sense of direction or purpose.

So that was it a lot shorter than normal, but hopefully just as good. The CD is available from all good record stores, and from www.amazon.co.uk for £11.99. If you like any QOTSA track then you will like the album, despite being a rock album its easy to listen to, although a little silly in places and is only really let down by the last track.

Cheers
Andy

• kylecoare published 13/09/2003
    Great review as usual, but Mark Lanegan from the Screaming Trees sang IN THE FADE. Kyle
  • Belle published 08/09/2003
    I really love this band. K x
  • miss_motivator published 07/09/2003
    mmmm, these arent my cup of tea, but my jonathan likes them unfortunately for me.. ha! ha! the review was splendid though (as always) take care, karen