Ravensburger Twirlywoos My First Puzzles

Ravensburger Twirlywoos My First Puzzles

Puzzle

Review of "Ravensburger Twirlywoos My First Puzzles"

published 05/06/2016 | Gingerkitty
Member since : 24/03/2012
Pro Brightly coloured, easy to differentiate between the characters, builds confidence
Cons None
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Confidence Building Puzzles"

My son loves the BBC series “Twirlywoos” and so I decided to buy this puzzle for him to engage him in something other than playing with trains and cars. Being autistic, he doesn’t really see the point in things like jigsaw puzzles, but if we use his interests we can sometimes motivate him to do things he wouldn’t otherwise try. This is important to widen his interests, and develop other skills such as hand-eye co-ordination, reasoning/logic, and so on. I bought this puzzle from Amazon where it costs £3.58.

The box contains four different puzzles, all of which are characters from the Twirlywoos series - Great BigHoo, Toodloo, Chickedy and Chick and Peekaboo. The idea of this kind of puzzle is that it contains different levels of difficulty, so the number of pieces increases as you go along. So one of the puzzles is made up of only two pieces, and then 3, 4 and 5 pieces. This helps to build confidence as you continue through the set, rather than overwhelming with a larger puzzle from the outset. This is particularly helpful for my son as he is easily put off by anything which looks too tricky.

The pieces are made from thick card, and would be very difficult to bend or rip. My son doesn’t chew them but I think they would withstand a little chewing at the corners if your child is so inclined. The fact the card is nice and thick also means that it is easier for children to fit the pieces together, as they slot in more easily than thinner puzzles. Again, this is important for children who struggle to complete such tasks, as it isn’t fun for children when they get frustrated.

The thing I like about this particular puzzle is that the backgrounds are all different colours, so it is very easy for my son to use his problem solving skills and pick out the pieces he needs for the character he is working on. We have another similar puzzle which contains transport vehicles, but he gets frustrated with it because the pieces are difficult to differentiate so he tends to lose interest easily. With this Twirlywoos puzzle, he can pick out the different characters based on the colour of the backgrounds, and of course the characters themselves who are all different primary colours.

This is a very good introduction to puzzles for children who are interested in the “Twirlywoos” series. Obviously it might not have as much appeal to a child who doesn’t watch the programme, as children tend to be motivated by their favourite characters or TV shows. It is a very good quality puzzle, which has been completed lots of times in our house, as my son likes to repeat things and this is good as it is all helping his development in the ways I mentioned earlier. It also builds his confidence if we begin with the puzzle which only has two pieces, and work up to the one with five pieces. I would highly recommend this puzzle, which is aimed at 18 months plus.

• danielclark691 published 16/09/2016
    vh
  • armor567 published 24/08/2016
    Very concise
  • jo-1976 published 12/06/2016
    Cute set

offers "Ravensburger Twirlywoos My First Puzzles"