Review of "Real Techniques Foundation Brush"

published 12/09/2013 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro super-soft bristles, easy to use, angled brush, cleans easily, great results
Cons nothing that I can think of
Compatibility with Makeup

"Perfecting my technique."

I recently reviewed a make-up brush set by Real Techniques and after being so impressed with the brush set I have purchased some more brushes to add to my collection. I’m very interested in make-up anyway and I love applying make-up, not just on me but other people as well. I don’t mind spending money on good quality make-up, brushes and tools.

= = = = = = =
The Product
= = = = = = =
The product I am reviewing is a foundation brush by Real Techniques. This foundation brush is angled which lets you build the coverage you need for an airbrushes, high-definition results. The brush itself is a good length and the main part of the brush is made from gold coloured aluminium which means that it’s light and easy to use. The very bottom of the handle is black and this has a slightly soft feel to it for grip when holding the brush. The brush is also actually self-standing which makes it easy when using different brushes to apply your make-up. The bristles of the brush and ultra-plush, synthetic bristles which are hand cut and are 100% cruelty free. The bristles are black in colour bit have a grey/white tips to them.

Sam Chapman is a makeup artist, blogger, beauty boot camp instructor, mother and more. She has been a professional makeup artist for 15yrs and has had the privilege of working at countless fashion shoots and editorials. Sam has teamed up with Real Techniques to bring woman high-tech tools that deliver high-definition results, alongside tutorials packed with techniques you can use to boost your look. She is in high demand as a makeup artist and is a top-rated YouTube beauty guru with 40 million hits and counting. The press acknowledges her as an expert in her field and she is frequently quoted and regularly appears in national and regional press. Sam’s work has appeared in publications including Harper’s, Elle and Cosmo. She also works with celebrities including Sir Paul McCartney, Peaches Geldof, Charlotte Church and more.

The brushe comes in a plastic box in which you can clearly see the brush and how it looks. It also gives you some information about the brush and how it gives you the perfect, finished look and it also states that the product is also linked with Sam Chapman and it gives you some information about her as well. The plastic box was easy to open and as soon as I removed the brush I then threw the packaging away (into the recycling box). There isn’t really any need to keep the packaging as you can find out more information on how to use the brush and for different make-up effects by going to the real techniques website (www.realtechniques.com).

(Please note that some of this information about Sam Chapman has been taken from Real Techniques Core Collection review).

Price/Availability
= = = = = = = = =
I purchased the brush from boots for £9.99. This product and all the other brushes in this range are on offer for buy 1 get 2nd half price, which makes it a great opportunity to buy some more brushes from this range. I believe you can also purchase this from Amazon as well.

= = = = =
Tutorial
= = = = =
Although I am sure most of you know how to apply foundation using a brush you can watch the tutorial on how to use this brush from the Real Techniques website. Simply go to how to and then click on brushes. There will be a list on the left hand side and simply choose foundation brush. Once you click on this it will load up a short tutorial (approximately 1 min) for you to watch. This just shows you how to use the brush to create the perfect look and base. Although I already knew how to apply foundation using the brush I watched it anyway, to see if I could pick up any tips. The Real Techniques website is actually full of different tutorials so you can create different looks from watching the tutorials online and following the advice and tips in each tutorial.

Using the Brush
= = = = = = = = =
I normally dispense some liquid foundation onto my hand to warm it up and then use the brush to apply it to my face. I was actually using a different type of foundation (Max Factor Whipped Crème Foundation) so I lightly dipped the tip if the brush into the foundation. A good amount of the foundation attached itself to the brush and I was now ready to apply it. I started off applying the foundation from the centre of my face from the nose and middle of the forehead (this is one of the tips on the tutorial). I then blended the foundation outwards picking up more foundation with the brush if I needed to. As I applied the foundation I found the brush to be extremely smooth and soft against my skin. The foundation was blending perfectly and wasn’t getting stuck onto the bristles of the brush and in between the bristles which is what I found with one my previous brushes. I continued applying the foundation, building it up if I needed to. As the foundation brush was angled, I found it really easy to apply foundation and concealer under my eyes without the bristles actually brushing against my actual eyes. I love the fact that the brush was angled and I think this made it easier to apply and it meant I could also apply the foundation perfectly without missing any areas. It didn’t take me long to apply the foundation and when I looked at the results in the mirror I was impressed. The foundation looked flawless and blended in perfectly, much better than it had, if I had used my fingers to apply the foundation. The foundation also looked even as well and totally flawless. I was impressed as I did apply this foundation the other day using my fingers and the coverage wasn’t as good as it is when using a foundation brush.

= = = = = = = = = = = =
Caring for your Brush
= = = = = = = = = = = =
You need to look after your make-up brushes and they need to be cleaned on a regular basis to remove traces of make-up and other bacteria. If you don’t do this then bacteria, germs and other nasties can get into the bristles of your brush which can in turn cause blemishes and break-outs. After using my brush I clean it every-time using a make-up brush cleaner which you can purchased from most boots store and other store such as Debenhams or House of Fraser. I use a No7 brush cleaner which I find cleans the brush really well and leaves it feeling soft and fluffy, ready to use again. I also deep clean the brush once a month using a mild baby shampoo and place it on a towel overnight to dry naturally. As tempting as it may be, you shouldn’t use a hair-dryer to dry your make-up brushes as this can melt the glue that holds the bristles in place.

Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = = =
I had high hopes of this brush after purchasing the core collection set of brushes in this range. Although the core collection brush set came with a foundation brush this was a lot smaller than the one I am reviewing now which is why I purchased an additional foundation brush. I was not disappointed by this brush at all. The brush is really light and easy to hold when using it and I love that the brush can stand on its own without falling over, in fact it’s actually very sturdy. The bristles to the brush are really soft and smooth to touch and they are also really soft when applying foundation to my face. I found that the brush applied foundation really easily and the foundation didn’t get stuck in the bristles and cause patches on my skin which I sometimes find with other foundation brushes. Due to the slanted style of the brush this means it’s perfect for applying foundation and even concealer under the eyes without having to change brushes. The brush isn’t too big and isn’t too fluffy so you can apply your foundation accurately and perfectly with the brush. I found that the brush also cleans really nicely as well and my brush always looks as good as new after it has been cleaned. In terms of value I think the price is very reasonable and I would definitely purchase more brushes in this range to add to my collection. Although I have purchased many different make-up brushes before, none of them have been as good quality as the one’s from the Real Techniques range. Whether you want a whole new range of make-up brushes or just want a brush for applying foundation then this one is highly recommended.

(review may also appear on dooyoo)

• NBCMad92 published 01/03/2016
    Very descriptive and I like that you give tips like application and how to clean the brush. Again, well done! E from me!
  • NBCMad92 published 01/03/2016
    Was looking for a good foundation brush and I think you have just sold it to me! Great review!
  • supersonic75 published 15/09/2013
    E x

offers "Real Techniques Foundation Brush"