Review of "Real Techniques Foundation Brush"

published 04/09/2014 | missrarr
Member since : 12/03/2012
Relieved and delighted to see the back of a horrible 2016 and working towards better things.
Pro Feels far higher quality than price would suggest; consistent, well made and great results
Cons None for me
Compatibility with Makeup

"Great Brush, Great Price"

It occurred to me that there was no point in investing in more expensive make up and skin care if I was just going to carry on making the same lazy mistakes with their application, so finally, at the ripe old age of nearly 30, I recently became the owner of my first foundation brush. Before I had been happy enough to apply foundation with my bare hands – literally – but the bottom line is that I was investing in better products for a reason, and that was that I wasn’t happy about how I looked. So, the whole hog had to be gone.

That said, I didn’t know if I would either get on with brush application or stick to it, so I didn’t want to invest in some earth-shatteringly expensive tool made from solid silver and unicorn hair bristles. So I toddled off to Boots on my lunch break and took a look at the options.

One brand that I had heard good things about at a reasonable price was Real Techniques, a range designed in collaboration with Youtube beauty tutorial expert Sam and Nic Chapman (for more on this, visit their website realtechniques.com, where you can find plenty of information, tips and videos as well as buy from their range).

As a whole, the website claims that the brushes will provide everything you need to apply make up like a pro; their bristles are hand cut for the perfect size and shape and are all 100% synthetic, made of Taklon and therefore cruelty-free as well. They also have a cute little colour coordination thing going on, with the brushes finished with a bronze-effect metal band being designed for use to create a perfect base, whilst the purple bands are the eye brushes and the pink ones designed to create the perfect finish. Handily, they also have flat bases to the handle of the brush, which means you can stand them up.

The foundation brush is angled and the product page on the website claims that it allows you to build up coverage to get an airbrushed, high definition end result, leaving you “pixel perfect even in harsh light”. I purchased mine in Boots at full retail price which at the time of writing is £9.99. It came well packaged in a plastic case not dissimilar to a glasses case, and looked professional and high quality; the bronze coloured aluminium band which makes up most of the handle is well finished and doesn’t look cheap, and the bristles looked plentiful and smooth, so I was happy to make the investment into my first foundation brush foray with this product and at that price.

***IN USE***
It didn’t take me long to get to grips with applying foundation using this; it’s not really rocket science. But one thing that I did notice was that I quickly realised I could get away with using less product that I had been. So that’s already a bonus. But, to skip back in time a bit…

After removing the brush from it’s case I was impressed by the feel of the brush. The bristles were indeed smooth and soft and gentle, and although the body of the brush is light because of the aluminium used in the handle, it didn’t feel cheap, tacky or fragile and felt well balanced.

I am currently using Clinique’s Superbalanced Foundation, which comes in a glass pot without a pump dispenser; I gently pour a tiny amount of that on the brush and apply in five spots across my face; both cheeks, my forehead, and lightly on the nose and chin. Using this brush I then gently sweep the foundation across my skin and can pay attention to making sure the coverage is complete and that the foundation is not blotchy anywhere. Because of the soft bristles, it is possible to make sure all of the contours are covered and at no point has this brush ever felt harsh or irritating to my skin; it glides the foundation over the skin smoothly and I can use this on the more sensitive skin in the eye area easily.

I do notice that you can see residual ‘brush streaks’ in the foundation but I think that would be true of any brush; these are very subtle. I am more than happy to just dab a make up sponge on my skin to negate this, or smooth with my fingers. The end result then is a very good coverage, with my skintone looking even and healthy. The brush allows me to work foundation right up to the hairline and helps me blend well, and as long as product is not over-applied, I find that a tiny amount of foundation on the chin can be brushed around the jawline and blends beautifully. No brush can make up for getting the shade of your foundation right, of course, but the bristles of this brush are soft enough that you can use it effectively on very little product and get a very high quality finish and blend.

The brush is also very easy to clean; I tend to use just a tiny amount of a gentle shampoo or similar, and warm water. The product washed well and quickly and dried quickly with no alteration to the shape of the bristles. I don’t think I have seen a single loose bristle come off of this product and now, about three months after purchase, it still looks exactly the same as when I bought it. I have only had it in an overnight bag once but it was without its protective case yet it still looked fine when I took it out of my make up bag; whilst carrying it like that every day might lead to some damage, I keep mine and my other brushes (I was so encouraged by this that I invested in some others) standing upright in a pot on my bathroom shelf and it seems fine kept like this; it doesn’t become caked or crusty with dry make up on the bristles either, so the softness of the bristles is consistent.

Would I recommend this brush? Definitely. I realise there are far more expensive alternatives but if you want a basic, first experience of a foundation brush but one that performs well then this is a bargain. It feels far more high quality than you might expect a cheaper brush to do and performs consistently and to a high standard. Obviously it is just a brush and nothing can make up for finding and using the right foundation and base products but I am very happy to continue using this brush to get the most out of the higher-price products that I am investing in; the fact that using this brush is already leading to using less foundation is fantastic, as I am getting better performance and better value out of my foundation, which makes this brush remarkably good value. To call it ‘basic’ does it a disservice because it is very enjoyable and high quality to use and the fact that I went back to the range for a concealer brush after my experience of this product says everything. Highly recommended.

• spanielize published 08/09/2014
    very well reviewed!
  • Violet1278 published 08/09/2014
    An outstanding consumer review. E from me.
  • euphie published 07/09/2014
    vh :o)

offers "Real Techniques Foundation Brush"