The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
Chocolate bread pudding with yummy chocolate sauce
Preparation: 20 minutes preparation, 1-2 hours soaking and cooking for 40 minutes.
This is a delicious dessert and one of my favorite recipes, if you use skimmed milk and sweetener it's fairly healthy if eaten in moderation it is also cheap to make.
6 slices white or brown bread, crusts removed and cut into squares Half teaspoon margarine 600ml (1 pint) skimmed milk (semi or whole milk can be used) 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 2 eggs 25g (1oz) dark or light muscovado sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla essence Icing sugar for dusting Crushed mixed nuts / Broken cookies/Crushed digestive biscuits (optional depending on your taste)
For the yummy chocolate sauce
25g (1oz) plain chocolate (60-70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces 1 tablespoon cocoa powder 150ml (quarter of a pint) skimmed milk 1 tablespoon cornflour Powdered sweetener or sugar to taste
1. Grease a 20 cm (8-inch) square baking dish with the margarine. Layer the bread squares (crushed mixed nuts / broken cookies/crushed digestive biscuits if you are using them) in the baking dish.
2. In a small pan, gently heat the milk and cocoa powder, stirring the mixture occasionally, until lukewarm.
3. In a clean bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence together then add the warm milk mixture and bat well. Strain into the baking dish, making sure all the bread is covered. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180 C/fan oven 160 C. Bake the pudding for about 35-40 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
5. While it is cooling, make the sauce. Put the chocolate, cocoa powder, milk and cornflour in a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring until smooth and blended. Add sweetener or sugar to taste.
6. Dust the pudding with icing sugar and serve with the hot sauce.
7. Best bit eat it all up delicious yum yum
Summary: Chocolate bread pudding with yummy chocolate sauce
Status: New - Here's a guide to baking and decorating delicious desserts with a colorful ... more
twist: sprinkles! Of course you can scatter them over cakes and pies-but you can also swirl them into waffles, embroider them on cookies, and freeze them in pretty popsicles. Jackie Alpers shares dozens of creative, colorful, super-fun recipes, plus quick-and-easy projects (ideal for little kids), holiday treats, party-perfect sprinkles crafts (great for gifting!). She also offers simple tutorials for tinting sparkling sugars, concocting homemade pop rocks, and even crafting your own sprinkles from scratch. Sprinkles! is an awesome rainbow explosion of a cookbook you won't want to miss.