Home > Ciao Café > Recipes > Recipes for Home Made Curries > Reviews

azana 5

azana

About me: Love reading genuinely helpful consumer reviews - shame some people have forgotten what that means, if they ever knew of course. Sigh.

Member since:12.02.2009

Naan - essential to go with curry - nicer than shop bought

08.03.2009

Advantages:
Cheap and yummy !

Disadvantages:
Need to feel confident to make it (don't worry it is easy)

26 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. angelboouk123
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. burns2007

I'm posting this in curries as if you can rustle up a curry these naan are THE most excellent I have ever tasted. Besides it would be rude to have a home made curry without naan!

I came across this recipe one day when I'd planned to make curry (patak's paste) and found out I had run out of rice. I was having "one of those days" and it actually proved easier to have a quick google and bung the ingredients in the breadmaker than drag two kids to the supermarket. I am no domestic goddess really - the recipe is really not that hard.
I have adapted a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com

Here is the recipe:

45 ml milk
1 egg, beaten
10 g salt
615 g bread flour
6 g minced garlic (optional)
55 g butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared. "

It works very very well in a breadmaker if you have one - it sounds complicated but realy isn't. I just bung the garlic at the start and roll them out straight from the breadmaker. NB the butter is for cooking and not for putting in the mix.

The first time I cooked this my husband said "where did you buy these from they are great! " - I cooked them for a neighbourhood party and everyone loved them.

The quantity suggested makes quite a lot of bread but they freeze really really well, you can make them in advance and warm through and they will taste restaurant good!

These Naan are really cheap to make and taste much much nicer than the ones you can buy. If you are trying to cut down on the takeaways my top tip is to buy some patak's balti paste, make some of these with or without a breadmaking machine and you have got yourself a curry night!

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

Mistee-Dreamz 25.01.2011 20:05

Lol I was expecting to read a review about a home made curry not a naan bread anyway, sounds nice, I love naan bread but i don't make it simply because we eat naan bead occasionally. Maybe you should move the review to the suitable category??

dnl05 24.04.2009 12:07