Review of "Recipes for Jams and Preserves"

published 01/09/2003 | numberthree
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro So easy to make
Cons Doesn't keep very well

"Easy lemoncurd in the micro"

I was given this recipe by my sister-in-law after I mentioned I fancied making some lemoncurd. My husband adores it, so I thought I would try and give him some real homemade stuff.

Well I must say that I reccommend this recipe as it is simple, easy and very quick. Also, of course there are no additives - which is why it doesn't keep for ever. But as it is so simple to do why not make some each month!

The flavour is excellent, very lemmony, and the texture and spread quality very smooth. On hot buttered toast it cannot be beaten!

I had never thought of using my microwave to make lemoncurd, but it actually works very well. In fact I don't use my microwave to cook with very often at all - only for heating up.

I only have imperial quantities I'm afraid. Metric is still a bit of a mystery to me and I'm only 40!!

You will need:-

4oz butter
8oz sugar
6 tbls lemon juice
grated rind of 3 large lemons
3 eggs, beaten

1. Place butter, sugar, lemon juice & rind in a large microwavable bowl. Cook uncovered in the micro for 3 mins on full power, stirring half way through cooking.

2 Beat the egg into the mixture. Cook for 5 mins on full power or until lemon curd thickens, checking & stirring every minute.

3. Allow the lemoncurd to cool before spooning into clean dry jars. Seal & Label.

Makes about 2 x 1lb jars.

• jesi published 11/09/2005
    Does your microwave have a turn-table? what is it's rating (B, D, E - or 650, 700, 750)? Any special precautions to take?... - &#9829;&#9829; - jes &#8776;&#8776;&#8776;&#8776;{; -)-{{::::: |||||< &#9829;&#9829;
  • raeisthehippychick published 30/09/2003
    mmm, lemon curd - this sounds easy enough even for me!
  • red_lili published 22/09/2003
    I'm not overly struck on lemon curd, but my mum makes heavenly raspberry and apple jam. I'll have to find out the recipe and let you know, its lovely!Lisa xx

Product Information : Recipes for Jams and Preserves