Review of "Recipes for Snacks"

published 18/08/2003 | Pumpkin
Member since : 28/04/2001
Pro It's delicious!
Cons It's EXTREMELY more-ish!

"A challenge to Marmite haters everywhere!"

I thought I’d share with you one of my favourite recipes, for Marmite Tart, something which is absolutely delicious and very more-ish! I originally got this recipe from my aunt who emailed it over from South Africa. Since then, we’ve been hooked on it!

Don’t be fooled by the name, it’s not made with a traditional pastry base, but – so long as the right quantities of ingredients are used – holds itself together perfectly. It's probably the consistency of a savoury cake, or slightly stodgy scone. It is extremely tasty and filling, and you will probably find yourself having to hide it away once you start eating – otherwise you will end up eating one piece after another!

There’s no Marmite in the tart itself – the Marmite flavour comes from a delicious “glaze” that goes over the top, and runs down into the tart through little holes pricked into the top.

It is ideal cut up into smallish sections and served cold as part of the “nibbles” selection at a drinks party, and is divine with a glass of wine or a soft drink (but be warned – you won’t be able to leave it alone!) I also enjoy it as a snack with a cup of tea. You could even cut it into larger pieces and serve it as a lunch with salad, either slightly warm, fresh from the oven, or once it has cooled. You definitely need a drink with it, as the Marmite flavour makes it quite salty and leaves you feeling quite thirsty.

It’s not the healthiest of snacks, but a little piece now and again is not going to add on too many extra pounds.

I’d even hazard a guess that this tart is so tasty and has so many lovely flavours that even non-Marmite lovers would enjoy it. I am yet to prove my theory, however, as everyone in my family loves Marmite and I haven’t yet convinced a Marmite-hater to try it! Anyone care to rise to my challenge?! Go on, I dare you!

Now, here’s the recipe – it includes American measurements (i.e. cups) but cup measures are readily available from most kitchen shops, and many recipe books contain conversion charts. It also refers to Peri Peri sauce, which is a tangy, spicy sauce readily available from most supermarkets. Although it may seem wasteful to buy a whole bottle just so as to add a little sprinkle to this recipe, it makes a lovely marinade, so if you like spicy flavours it definitely won’t go to waste. Incidentally, the tart itself is not spicy (unless you make your sprinkle particularly generous!) the Peri Peri just adds a lovely “bite” to the flavour.

Enjoy!

MARMITE TART

Mix together:

1 cup cake flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
(can use self-raising flour but omit the baking powder)
1 cup strong Cheddar cheese – grated
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
A sprinkle of paprika
A sprinkle of Peri-Peri

Rub in:
125gm butter (or Stork margarine)

Add:
1 grated or finely chopped onion

Finally:
Beat 1 egg and combine with a little milk, and add to the mixture. The consistency should be fairly “sloshy”.

Pour the mixture into a greased square or rectangular baking tin or Pyrex dish. Bake at 180º for +/- 25 minutes.

Melt together:
1 big blob of butter or Stork margarine
1 big teaspoon of Marmite

Prick the cooked tart with a fork and “drizzle” the Marmite mixture over it while both are still fairly hot. Once the tart has cooled, cut into appropriate size squares.

• icirebla published 16/08/2008
    Sounds great - I will try it soon - I love marmite and cheese
  • gaz_boy23 published 05/01/2004
    Sounds great - gotta try this!!!
  • Kezza88 published 08/11/2003
    I love marmite, but the British stuff just ain't the real thing (sorry to be critical, but NZ marmite is similar in texture to Vegemite). This sounds yummy tho', the bakery near to my home in NZ made cheese & Marmite scroll bread, yummy when reading the paper on a Sunday morning. Kez :)

Product Information : Recipes for Snacks