Review of "Recipes for Snacks"

published 10/04/2011 | kell.b
Member since : 02/08/2004
My interests are watching my fave things on TV and DVD. These mainly are anything with Adam Sandler in, horror movies and too many other comedies to mention. I also love going to the cinema and watching football.
Pro Quick to prepare, tasty, cheap and healtthyish
Cons None

"Broadbean, mushroom and bacon pittas"

If you have read any of my other food/recipe reviews then you will no that cooking is not my strong point but I have a few favourite dishes that never go wrong and this is one of them.

A few weeks ago at work one of my colleagues was eating something called habas fritas. I tried it not knowing what it was except that it was very tasty. I was then told that it was fried broadbeans. I then admitted that I'd never had broadbeans and didn't know how to serve them. This is when I was told of a recipe which I have adapted to suit my taste.

~Ingredients~
Broadbeans
Bacon
Mushrooms
Pitta bread
Mayonaise

As normal, I don't have any measure of ingredients I just guess.

~Instructions~
Boil a pan of water and whilst doing this remove the broadbeans from the pod. Place the broadbeans in the water and leave to simmer until they have risen to the top and have started to turn white.

Whilst the broadbeans are simmering slice the mushrooms and bacon into smallish pieces.

Melt some butter or vegetable spread in a small pan and then add the mushrooms and bacon and gently fry until near golden.

By now the broadbeans should be ready to remove from the water, drain and leave for 30 seconds to drain the access water from them. Now remove the whitish skin as careful as possible. I find that some of the broadbeans split during this process but that is fine.

Now transfer the mushrooms and bacon into a frying pan and add some more butter or vegetable spread and the broadbeans. Fry until your required taste. Personally I like mine more on the crispy side but not burnt.

Now place the pitta bread in the toaster and remove the broadbeans, mushrooms and bacon from the frying pan. When the pitta bread is toasted split it open and squeesh some mayonaise into the bottom. I then add some of the broadbeans, mushrooms and bacon and some more mayonaise, repeating until the pitta bread is full.

I find this is great for a quick snack or cook enough to fill two pitta breads and you have enough for a surprisingly filling evening meal. Although I've not tried any variations yet I think you could make four changes to this meal and it would still be as enjoyable. They are -
1 substitute the bacon for mincemeat.
2 substitute the bacon for chicken.
3 add garlic - fried until cruchy.
4 substitute the mayonaise for sweet chilli sauce.
I think you could just do one of the changes or do all four of them and have a completely different meal.

Try it and see, I guarantee you will enjoy it.

• catsholiday published 10/04/2011