headgarde... 5

headgardener

Member since:07.02.2001

The house that opens many doors

17.07.2001

Advantages:
Fast delivery quality books, no obligation to buy

Disadvantages:
None

Variety on offer

Catalogue

Purchase obligations

5 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Hasselnott
  2. fairyg
  3. louise2ch

A mail order book company, with a reputable name and highly regarded in school and literary circles.
Offering discounted books, audio books, games and activities via catalogue. Guaranteed not to have a hard sell attitude, there are no additional commitments for further purchases.
Affiliated with the Scholastic Group this company was founded just over 20 years ago by David Teale, and has encouraged many thousands of children and adults to become proficient and more importantly to enjoy reading, and to develop a love for books.

Oh, no another book club?
This is unlike many other clubs.
There are no unsolicited catalogues or editors choices sent to you.
You only receive exactly what you order, although the temptation may be as it was with us to order a lot.
With 4 children in our house there are books of all shapes and sizes all over the place. I actively encourage reading all sorts of topics.
My kids have developed a real love for reading and being read to, the 1 year old included.

Who are the books that they sell books aimed at?
Every member of the household, whether 6 months old or 76 years old, there are books for everyone

How did you hear about the book club?
I really don’t remember, but I recently received their latest catalogue and was amazed at the quantity and quality of the available selection that catered for adults and children alike.
At first I thought that there must be some catch involved.
The prices just seemed to be unbelievable.

So are they unbelievable?
Believe me the prices on the catalogue are correct.
After considerable contemplation we decided to spend about £25 on books for the younger children’s upcoming birthdays and Easter.
I selected a couple, and my toddler chose the rest, it was then that I noticed that along with the chosen books we would receive 4 Teletubbies books for replying within 14 days AND a welcome pack containing another 4 books.
I thought that they must be mad.
I completed the order form, enclosed payment and waited for my order to arrive.

What kind of payment do they accept?
Payment is accepted in many forms.
As I do not own a credit card my choice was payment by cheque. Debit cards, credit cards and postal orders are fully acceptable.
Credit/debit card orders can be taken over the phone and are despatched faster than cheques orders, as they need time to clear.

What about hidden charges?
There are none.
The standard post and packing is charged at £2.50 per parcel, and delivery will take 3-5 days.
If you are in a hurry, you can have your order sent via Parcel force at a cost of £3.50 delivery being guaranteed within 48 hours.
Redhouse also caters for overseas deliveries at a cost.

How long did you have to wait for your delivery to arrive?
Just over a week, the cheque was cleared and the order sent without delay.

What kind of condition did the parcel arrive in?
Excellent, the contents had obviously been carefully wrapped and packed, and double-checked to ensure that the order was complete.
There was not a creased page amongst them, and the wrapping paper quite capable of being recycled at a later date.
Even the printed box had been beautifully decorated with the Redhouse logo, leaving no secrets at to the origin of the package.

Did your free books actually arrive?
Absolutely.
The parcel contained everything that I had ordered free gifts included.
Along with my order came catalogues giving a deeper insight into the other products available from them, and included discount vouchers, current catalogues, a fridge magnet, door hanger, bookmark, and a questionnaire in which gives the opportunity to decide whether you wish to receive any more correspondence from them, and if so, when, as well as documenting other interests that you and your family may have.
There is a quarterly draw for received questionnaires with a prize of £100 worth of books.(My idea of heaven)
There was also stickers to make a note of your registration details on visiting their website.

Website, so are they on the Internet too?
Of course!, they can be found at www.redhouse.co.uk, where a fully comprehensive series of pages awaits you.
The site is well maintained, and extremely informative, as well as offering the opportunity to shop on line. (Credit/debit card)
It has been divided into many categories and also includes clearance lines, at fantastic reductions, bestsellers at greatly reduced prices and a whole host of other offers.

What about other contacts, I am very wary of PO box numbers?
You needn’t be worried at all.
Their long-standing reputations go before them, and are certainly one of the most renowned sources for discounted books that I am aware of.
Contacting them is easy.
Their telephone number is 01993893456,
Fax 01993776813
Address Red House Books LTD
Windrush Park
Witney
Oxfordshire
OX85YF

So what did you get for your money?
Ha this is where I love to boast, I still don’t believe it myself.

Spot the dog(Lift the flap small hard backed book)
Winnie the Pooh (Lift the flap large board book)
Winnie the Pooh (Touchy feely. Large board book)
Thomas the Tank engine (Noisy, large board book)
Guess how much I love you (Small board book)
The Very Hungry caterpillar (Medium paperback)
Hush a bye baby (Nursery rhymes, Medium board book)
Rub a dub tub (Nursery rhymes, medium board book)
Teletubbies (Flying toast, paperback)
Teletubbies (Laa laas ball, paperback)
Teletubbies (The magic flag, paperback)
Teletubbies (Tinky Winkys bag, paperback
Spot the dog soft toys X2.
And paid £2.50 post and packing, and still had change from £25.00

Is that not amazing?

Is there anything that you don’t like about this company, their products or their policies?
In all honesty no.
I really do appreciate that this company does not fill my post box with editor’s choices, that I neither request nor wanted, and then have to pay a fortune for the privilege of returning them.

Returns, I am glad that you mentioned that, what if my book is not the one that I ordered or has been damaged in transit?
No problem, Redhouse will send you a prepaid label, simply pop the offending article into a suitable receptacle, and head to the Post Office, they will do the rest.

I still cannot work out how they can afford to sell their produce at such greatly reduced prices, and still make a profit.
The books are not seconds, nor unheard of, they are exactly the same books that you would buy in a regular bookshop, only with Red house they are on a far more economical basis.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book club to friends and family, and hope that they take the hints thrown at them.

A genuine company with honest policies, and extremely keen prices.

fairyg 19.10.2006 21:24

I too have ordered several books from Red House. They are also afiliated with Book Start, and if you receive a catalogue through them you will get free P&P for life!

louise2ch 23.04.2005 16:25

This sounds great, have been a member of other childrens book clubs and been less than satisfied with customer service returns etc. Ill give this one try!

fuzzibear 26.04.2004 01:55

This book club sounds good, off to check out the website now