Review of "Renault Laguna 1.8 Rt"

published 16/10/2001 | npturner
Member since : 16/10/2001
Good
Pro lots of space, smooth ride, decent handling.
Cons soft seat, no steering height adjustment, rough engine.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Not the best i've driven"

When I started a new job in June 2000 I was given a Laguna to use until its lease ran out in the September, before ordering a new car. It had 84,000miles on the clock and was in a bit of a state.
I had to drive it home from Birmingham to Hertfordshire, and found it a smooth motorway cruiser.
After 3 months and a further 12,000miles I had totally change my opinion, not because it was a bad car, but because it didn't suit me. Also I compared it to my previous 2 Nissan Primeras.
Firstly, although 6ft tall I like the steering wheel low, on the Laguna (mine was a 1997 1.8RT a/c) it only adjusted for reach, this meant I had to put up with a high steering wheel. Secondly the seats where far too soft, something I found in my managers new Espace, and a colleagues Scenic.
Another hate after a few thousand miles was it's stiff clutch and over powered brakes which made it very difficult to blip the throttle while changing down through the gears, the lack of ABS also caused me some concern with the amount of travelling I was doing.
As time went on I started to detest the lowly 95bhp (being used to 150bhp in my Primera), and its rough engine which always sounded strained when pushed past 3000rpm.
There are lots to commend the Laguna, its got a nice ride, and reasonable handling, with plenty of interior space. But unless you are not fussy about driving position its worth having a long drive in one before buying it.

• brianlfc published 16/10/2001
    Sorry for the FH rating, but there are quite a few spelling mistakes in your opinion, plus a bit more detail wouldn't go amiss, try and correct the spelling and add a bit more content, and I'll re-rate it...good luck...Brian