Rexel Long Arm Stapler

Review of "Rexel Long Arm Stapler"

published 18/01/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Can be very useful, durable.
Cons Awkward, not cheap.

"Rebel Long Arm Stapler"

First impressions

The Rexel brand is one that I am reasonably familiar with when it comes to office stationery. I have experienced a range of their products and in general I would say I have had a positive experience with the brand.

Here we have the Rexel Long Arm Stapler. This stapler has a black body that is made from metal for durability. As this is a ore heavy duty office item this is sensible, as opposed to a plastic stapler to keep costs down but potentially compromise on quality. The metal stapler we have here does look very odd. At first glance it looks like someone decided to take a standard stapler apart and add a thin piece of metal to the back end to extend the mouth length. This isn’t the case, with this design due to the fact that the staples must be held in the top have of the stapler and this is why part of the body is thicker than the rest of the stapler.

Overall I would say that the looks are not going to impress you on a style basis, but you would be confident that it will stand up to plenty of use due to the fact it has a metal body. The small grey plastic cover at the business end of the stapler shows off the Rexel branding on an otherwise plain black finish.

My experience

Working in an office environment for a few hours a day means that I get to try out lots of different new products. When I find that we have been given a new piece of equipment I love seeing how well they perform. Some of them are specialist items and you wonder what you would do without them, but others are a bit pointless. This long arm stapler could be described as essential to some people. This is because of you work with large documents then you might need to reach right across a sheet of paper to staple it.

I must admit that this stapler does not get a great deal of use in our small office, but when it is used it is an essential item for the job and you cannot simply use a small handheld stapler because you need to be able to get the long reach across a page.

In terms of durability this stapler is fantastic and has lasted us so well. It may not get a great deal of use but it is a good servant when it is called into action, and it has lived here whilst staplers have come and are now long gone. When you are having to pay out a good amount of money for this kind of product you want it to last, and you don’t want to be having to order special staples either Number 16 or Number 56 staples is a bonus. You can fit around 150 to 200 staples into it, so you wont be needing to refill it very often. I lay it flat on the desk when I have to refill it because it can be quite awkward as it is a tall item when stood up!

As a stapler for putting staples into lots of sheets of paper, this stapler is a very good device to have. I cannot complain on any front, though you would have to say that it takes up a lot of space. I think the mouth is a whole 308mm long, so you will struggle to find any situation that it couldn’t be used in. If you wish to use it as a standard stapler then I wouldn’t bother, I would also have a normal stapler to hand as the long reach can be hard to work with on standard sized sheets of paper.

Price and availability

You can buy the Rexel Long Arm Stapler for around the £20-£25 mark online. This may seem a lot but there is a lot more to it than you would find with a basic handheld stapler.

Final thoughts

This stapler may not get a lot of use but when it is needed we wouldn’t be able to do jobs without it. The only issue is storage, and finding space to store this large stapler on your desk can be a real problem. We have ours running across the back of a computer screen. It is easily accessible but not in the way, and it would be difficult to lose it even though it is plain black!

• hiker published 08/03/2016