Riad Le Plein Sud, Marrakech

Review of "Riad Le Plein Sud, Marrakech"

published 05/04/2017 | biriyanibabe
Member since : 05/04/2017
loving life but cherish every moment before its a memory.
Good
Pro Great for couples
Cons dangerous stairs, nothing to do, not in a safe area, food portion small and bathroom slippery.
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"More cash needed in Marrakech"

Riad Le Plein Sud, Marrakech

My husband and I celebrated our fourth anniversary in February this year and we decided to celebrate it by going away for a few days with our young daughter who is also four (yes she was a honeymoon baby). After much debate on where to go with a youngster we decided on Morocco and it wasn’t a long flight for her to handle.

^^^^^^ WHERE DID WE STAY? ^^^^^^^

Trip advisor is a great site but as we found later on, reviews and pictures can be misleading somewhat.

We had no idea on where to stay so just reviewed a few places in Marrakech and Riad Plein Sud came up with 5 stars and lots of good feedback. A further link took us to various travel agents and we paid £250 each including flights from Gatwick and private transfers to the Riad via taxi. This was just bed and breakfast and didn’t include city tax and was for three nights.

I’ve never been to Marrakech but the appeal of shopping and buying more spices (I am co-owner of a restaurant) was too great an opportunity to miss.

^^^^^^ARRIVAL^^^^^^

I had no idea what the front would look like. I imagined something plush with a long driveway and palm trees flowing in the breeze. We stayed in Egypt many times and this is how I thought the Riad to be. It was later on in our stay that I found out Riad meant Guest House in Arabic and this was nothing like a hotel.

For a start the taxi couldn’t get down the narrow lane so dropped us off and pointed us in direction to where we were staying. The lanes are very narrow and mopeds come at you at full speed, pedestrians have no right of way and my partner was rammed on his calf by a local. Great start.

A huge wooden door greeted us and I felt I was going into a haunted house. Slowly it opened and there was a pleasing face to greet us, Chouqui.
Inside it was very dark but a relief to have silence and calm away from the chaos outside.

We were taken to the courtyard and given mint tea and cookies for my daughter. I noticed the “pool” that was listed in Trip Advisor; it was a glorified fountain without the jets going. Water was freezing and greenery from the overhanging foliage floated in the water. I smelt no chlorine as swimming pools should have.

After a chat about what to see and do, we took our cases (chouqui helped) upstairs.

^^^^^OUR ROOM ^^^^^

There was a single bed as we walked in and then round the corner was a double. My daughter was pretty freaked out so far so she ended up sleeping with me and my partner in the single bed for the remainder of the holiday.

However the room was clean and the linen and towels spotless. The bed was was comfortable and pillows just right.

The bathroom was really a wet room. A large basic shower but with constant hot water,. I didn’t like the idea of a concertina door separating the toilet from the bedroom as there was no privacy to speak off and the wet room opposite the toilet was just the same. All sounds could be heard to the amusement of my daughter.

The floor was dangerous when wet, the tiles were like an ice rink and my daughter slipped on many occasions. We laid a hand towel down for some sort of anti slip mat but it wasn’t suffice.

There was no TV in our room and the Wi-Fi signal poor. Having a young child we were in our room early and there was absolutely nothing to do here. We didn’t feel safe venturing out at night so had no choice other to sit in our room and try and sleep.

However the air con unit on the wall doubled as a heater and was very efficient.
We all slept well that night, probably through exhaustion but the remainder of the break the noise from outside was constant. If it wasn’t for the mopeds, then the cockerel would start as well as the local ladies chatting outside followed by the call to prayer. Mosques were surrounding us and they all called out in unison.

^^^^^ BREAKFAST^^^^^

Very small portion, adequate for my daughter but not for my husband, One pancake and dry bread was not enough to get him through till lunch.
I don’t eat breakfast anyway so it was no hardship for me, I did enjoy the orange juice though.

No variety was offered for my child, she too had dry bread and jam with a pancake.

No chance of getting rice crispies or Weetabix.
Fortunately we didn’t book to have an evening meal here.

^^^^ CHILD FACILITIES ^^^^^

None what so ever and luckily my parents had my baby as I would never have coped with him here. Very dangerous for young children, health and safety didn’t appear to exist in the Riads of Kesh.

Babysitting is offered here but at a cost, I declined.

^^^^^DISABLED ^^^^^^^

There is no lift, just a very dangerous staircase with no handrail that winds up to the bedrooms. All room are on the top floor so this is not ideal for those who cannot tackle stairs and definitely not the elderly.

^^^^^ TO SUM UP^^^^^^

Chouqui and his team were fantastic and nothing was too less for them. We highly recommend if you wanted to travel and use this place as a base around sightseeing but not for children under 10 and not for disabled clients. Ideal for couples not for families.

No bar and nowhere local to buy water but just ask the staff and they go out on the bike to get what you need. Water they will give you from the kitchen and costs a £1.
City tax will be charged to your bill when you check out and tips are expected every where you go.

Please note you cannot buy the currency outside of Morocco but as soon as you land at the airport there are money exchanges everywhere. They don’t give the best rate but as least you can get a few dirhams until you find an ATM.

Thanks for reading my first review

X Ellie X

ADDRESS:
RIAD PLEIN SUD
56 Derb Derdouba Arets Ihiri,
Bab Doukala, Marrakech,
40030, Morocco

Cannot find a website to this Riad.

https:/.hotels.com