Rice Dream Original

Rice Dream Original

Rice

Review of "Rice Dream Original"

published 10/06/2008 | pigletto
Member since : 10/06/2008
Good
Pro Easy availability, dairy and gluten free, good packaging
Cons Very expensive, too sweet, very watery and tastes awful in coffee and tea
Smell
Product Quality

"Nice idea, but not a great product"

I have noticed for a long time now that wheat, gluten and dairy products bloat me up so much, that I sometimes look 4 months pregnant, even though I am very slim overall.

So I started to eliminate these things from my diet, one by one. Before you ask, it was really, really hard, all those temptations all over the place. It looks like gluten, lactose and sugar lurk in 70% of everything we eat (bar fresh fruit and vegetables), so it wasn't easy. But I persevered and the difference in how I felt almost instantly was enormous.

One of the products I tried on my route to deflating myself was Rice Dream.

As I have written above, it is widely available in major supermarkets and health food shops, it is a low-calory drink, no gluten or added sugar, tastes quite nice on cereals.

Minuses: very expensive for what it is. I can somewhat understand it being expensive now that rice costs almost as much as caviar (O.K., not exactly, but you get my point), but it was expensive even when rice was dirt cheap, and it only has 14% of it anyway. Perhaps the technology of making it is expensive, but £1.69 for 1l cartoon is a bit too much, in my opinion, especially if you are looking at it as a substitute for milk. I can easily go through the carton of it every couple of days, and if you have family, this would be even more, so it really adds up.
THE TASTE : It is far too sweet , almost sickly and this is another mystery too me, as it does not have very much sugar in it ....or does it?. It is also very watery in consistency and it tastes awful in coffee and tea, my personal taste that is. Unlike soy milk, it curdles (YUCK!!!) if the coffee is hot (the only way I like it), and as such , it is almost undrinkable in hot beverages.

So I won't be using it regularly, but this is an O.K. alternative to use occassionally instead of soy milk, especially cold on cereals.

But it is a real shame that a good idea like this was not made better (eg. less sweet, less watery), and the price is quite elitist, which surely puts of lots of people on lower incomes from using it regularly.

EDIT: In response to the fair comment, I need to add the following.

It does help towards reducing bloating and/or lactose intolerance, not of its own, of course, but as a part of the healthy diet.

My biggest gripes with it are the taste, consistency and the price.
If it was a bit cheaper, say like soy milk, I would definitely use it more often, as it is healthy, so I would just ingnore the taste. After all, I regularly eat flax seed oil, even though I hate the taste, but it is so good for me.
But at this price, it is just the occassional alternative to soy milk for me.

• SweetTooth93 published 10/06/2008
    Watery milk?! Ewwwww! xx
  • Bollinger28 published 10/06/2008
    But did it help you reduce your bloating? You don't say in your review!