Review of "Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Varnish"

published 10/07/2017 | Silveryew
Member since : 01/06/2014
A lady from the Nørth. During Mum's preoperative assessment in May 2016 it was discovered that the cancer they were going to remove is now too far advanced to treat. I'm back after a really rough half year, glad to be<3 https://silveryew.wordpress.com/
Satisfactory
Pro Nice colour, shiny. Looks nice when you apply it! Helpful brush for unsteady hands!
Cons Doesn't dry in the time stated, chips very easily. Need more than one coat for good coverage.
Price
Chips Easily?
Features

"'60' seconds I won't get back! Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Varnish"

When I bought a foundation and mascara in Boots last time, I noticed that they had a 3 for 2 offer on for all Rimmel makeup. My nail polishes were starting to look a bit grim, I remembered. You how when there is so little left in the bottle that the whole thing stiffens and it's impossible to get any of it out anymore?

Well all three of my bottles were like that so I decided to get a bottle for myself. To put it into perspective; I have not bought any nail polish for myself for the last three years - this has been because I have been careful and gotten them as freebies/handed them in under a nailpolish amnesty and gotten a fresh bottle.

I decided on the 60 second super shine nail polish in the shade of 210 Etheral - it's a pink mother-of-pearl colour which is nice enough to wear for work but is also suitable if I go out (and besides by not getting a really strong colour, it means I can apply it and if I cock it up, then it doesn't show so easily).

Normally a bottle of this nail polish costs £2.99 - I got mine for free as I bought a mascara and foundation at Boots where they have the offer. I have seen Rimmel product shelves at Tesco, Sainsburys and Superdrugs so can imagine you can buy this nail polish there as well. (I've had to put £3 in the Price field as it won't let you put decimals in)

A bottle contains 8ml of product and the label says once it's been opened it should be used up within 30 months. I think this will be used up much quicker than that, as I will explain below.

The bottle is a bog standard bottle with a twist cap with the container in glass and the cap in plastic, with the brush fastened inside the cap. It screws on nicely and doesn't come loose in transit - I keep mine in my handbag and it hasn't come loose once (why yes, I apply my nailpolish while in the queue for the bus, why do you ask? XD).

One thing I do like about this nail polish is the shape of the brush. While most nail polish brushes are all clumped together and round, this one has a brush which is broader and more flat. This makes it much easier for me to apply the nail polish. In my experience this brush means that I can apply the nail polish in one stroke for each nail (bar the thumbs of course). This makes it much neater in my opinion as I only have to apply one stroke rather than the three strokes I normally need to apply it, lessening the rate of failure for me as I find my hands can be quite unsteady when I do it.

It says it's for Super Shine and I think the nail polish looks good on my hands and makes them nice and shiny. The colour is nice I think and I do think it looks good on.

Interestingly while the label had the 'hand on open book' icon (I think this means please read the label prior to use) when I peeled the label back there was no information there at all about what this nail polish contains, it's completely blank.

After a bit of digging, I found the ingredient list on the Rimmel website:
BUTYL ACETATE, ETHYL ACETATE, NITROCELLULOSE, ACETYL TRIBUTYL CITRATE, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, TOSYLAMIDE/EPOXY RESIN,
STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, STEARALKONIUM BENTONITE, SILICA, TRIPHENYL PHOSPHATE, ADIPIC ACID/NEOPENTYL GLYCOL/
TRIMELLITIC ANHYDRIDE COPOLYMER, AQUA/WATER/EAU, DIACETONE ALCOHOL, ETOCRYLENE, KAOLIN, GLYCIDYL NEODECANOATE/
PHTHALIC ANHYDRIDE/TMP CROSSPOLYMER, MEK, SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE, CORALLINA OFFICINALIS EXTRACT, ACRYLATES/
DIMETHICONE COPOLYMER, ISOSORBIDE DICAPRYLATE/CAPRATE, DIMETHYL ISOSORBIDE, PHOSPHORIC ACID, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, n-
BUTYL ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, BENZOPHENONE-1, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, POLYVINYL BUTYRAL,
POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/MDI COPOLYMER, ACETONE, TRIMETHYLPENTANEDIYL DIBENZOATE, POLYETHYLENE, STEARALKONIUM HECTORITE,
HYDROLYZED CONCHIOLIN PROTEIN, CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OIL, MACROCYSTIS PYRIFERA (KELP) EXTRACT, TIN
OXIDE, [May Contain/Peut Contenir/+/-:MICA, D&C YELLOW NO. 11 (CI 47000), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI
77499), D&C RED NO. 7 CALCIUM LAKE (CI 15850), FD&C YELLOW NO. 5 ALUMINUM LAKE (CI 19140), MANGANESE VIOLET (CI 77742),
ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), ALUMINUM POWDER (CI 77000), D&C RED NO. 6 BARIUM LAKE (CI 15850), FD&C BLUE NO. 1 ALUMINUM LAKE (CI
42090), D&C RED NO. 34 CALCIUM LAKE (CI 15880), FERRIC FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510), BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), D&C VIOLET NO. 2 (CI
60725)].

But it also said something else there, that it has '3 in 1 technology for up to 10 days wear'.

10 days? In what universe? Oh I know, the one where you don't do any work with your hands. In my experience this nail polish chips very easily and even before a day is done and I've applied it, it needs to be taken off again and reapplied because the tips of my nails have become exposed and it looks unkempt. Even with more than one layer it chips.

And you do need more than one layer for good coverage. But even doing one layer takes longer than the time stated as it takes longer then a minute to dry and with each layer it takes longer to dry.

So would I recommend it?

Eh, not really. I feel it's poor value for money. This is because while it costs £2.99 for a bottle which isn't unreasonable, it chips so easily and you have to keep removing it and reapplying it, I feel it's very quickly used up.

I'd much rather pay a little bit more for a nail polish and then have something that lasts longer than a workday.

Maybe it's just me having high expectations of this product because I've used a lot of Rimmel makeup and been pleased with them? Or maybe it's because I have a quite hands-on job (working in a library so handling and shelving a lot of books and doing a lot of typing).
But this was really not what I expected from Rimmel at all as I've been happy with their products previously. I won't be buying this again.

• rolandrat123 published 01/08/2017
    VH
  • Secre published 18/07/2017
    Strange that it didn't have an ingredients list on it!
  • danielclark691 published 17/07/2017