Mascara

Review of "Rimmel Scandaleyes Mascara Extreme Black"

published 14/09/2015 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Lengthens lashes; makes lashes look conditioned and healthy.
Cons None.
Ease of Application
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"A Great Mascara For Partying Or For Everyday..."

Why I Bought This Product

I like to try lots of different make-up products and this was one that caught my eye when I was shopping. I often buy Rimmel products as they tend to be at the slightly cheaper end of the make-up market but they often have great quality products. I liked that this seemed to be a large tube of mascara and that the effect was described as 'extreme black'. As I get older I feel it's important to find a mascara that has the effect of opening up your eye shape.

Packaging

This mascara comes in a 12ml tube. It's a fat tub, larger than most mascaras I have previously bought, with a large orange top. The size of the chunky top means it's easy to hold onto when applying.

When the top is unscrewed the wand has a long brush stem. The brush on the end is about 3 centimetres long and is comprised of dozens of soft plastic bristles which taper out to a thin tip. The bristles are arranged in a spiral shape. Instead of one bristle in the twisting rows there seems to be multiple and they burst out at different angles. The bristles actually stick out to cover all parts of the brush and this means that when the brush combs your lashes the liquid mascara is coated onto the lash very thickly. The brand seem to refer to this with printed information on the tube which says "No lash can escape!".

The tube is also printed with some other details about the product. Rimmel state that this mascara creates "scandalous volume" and that it has a "no clumps" formula. It is also called a "volume flash" mascara because of the level of volume and thickness the mascara is supposed to give your lashes.
Using The Product

The brush head is straight so you have to tilt this according to where you want the mascara to go. The brush picks up a ton of mascara and it tends to form a little wisp at the tip of the brush. This can be a bit of an issue if you angle the brush to use the tip to apply. However, I tend to use the thicker middle section of the brush to stroke on the mascara.

The mascara liquid is deep black in colour and it goes on evenly and thickly. It instantly changes the way my lashes look. It does not gather at the roots of my lashes but sweeps the mascara right along the length of the lash. It makes my thin and invisible lash ends come to life. It really lengthens the lash and thickens it but not to a degree which looks obscene or clownish.

It's a slick mascara. The formula makes it wet so it glides on and does not form any clumps or lumps nor does it powder off or crumble as you apply.

The effect is really good. It really opens up the eye area which is great for me as my eyelids look a bit heavier with age. This mascara also helps to make my lashes look healthier and prettier. It's not too heavy nor does it make my lashes look silly or fake.

It is a mascara that can be used in different ways. If I want to use it for daily or casual wear I just apply one layer of mascara but two coats can transform the look into a party style lash. It's quite a sexy and dramatic look with more than one coat. It's the perfect mascara for both worlds though.

The mascara isn't waterproof but it stays on for as long as I need it to remain on my lashes. I have tried using plain liquid soap facial wash to remove but find it works best with an eye make up remover liquid.
Overall Opinions

I am really happy with my purchase and would recommend to other ladies. It's been a while since I purchased this but I believe I paid around £7. It is available at stores such as Boots and Superdrug.

• MissTopaz published 27/06/2017
    Very helpful, especially as I always struggle to find a mascara to stay loyal to!
  • ryeb published 15/09/2015