Review of "Rimmel Vinyl Lip Gloss"

published 29/08/2007 | miss_emilina
Member since : 26/08/2007
Pro Makes lips feel soft and look very shiny
Cons Its sticky and tastes awful...
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Super shiny... super sticky"

Rimmel's Vinyl gloss claims that it delivers a 'brilliant high gloss lasting shine which conditions & moisturises' as well as it being a 'lightweight, non-sticky formula'.
When I saw the description in Superdrug, I thought to myself 'Huzzah - a cheap lip gloss which actually looks ok!' Feeling rather smug with myself (it was on offer at the time) with my new purchase I opened it to begin an inspection, only to receive a slight disappointment. When I pulled the wand out, half of the lipgloss disappeared! Well, obviously the wand was taking up some space when inside, but I felt a bit scammed that out of the reasonable sized tube; I had only half of the supposed lipgloss.
Anyway, moving on!

~Packaging~
My first thought upon seeing this was slight disappointment, only because I personally think that it looks a tiny bit cheap and tacky looking, a bit like those glosses which are slapped onto the front of a magazine! I must admit that I expected a bit more from Rimmel, but however, looks aren't everything (or are they?). The bottle is roughly 4 inches in length, and supposedly (haha) contains 5ml of lipgloss. The barrel is clear so that you can see the product inside, with a rim of silver just under the cap, with the Rimmel logo. The actual cap itself is deep purply violet, almost iridescent but I don't think that it looks very attractive, personally. (note, mine is the new version so differs slightly from the picture).

~Effects and Appearance~
Firstly, I must clarify that although this is a good lipgloss, it IS sticky! This furthered my annoyance (first springing from the quantity incidence) as part of the reason I bought it was so that the oh so common 'wind+lipgloss=sticky hair' incidence which always seems to occur to me, would cease from happening - obviously not…!
It does however make your lips look super shiny which is great, although I wouldn't say it gives a 'mirror shine' as it claims to do so. Another good factor is that it DOES condition and moisturise, making lips visibly softer so it doubles up as a lip balm.

~Flavour~
I won't go into a really in depth review about the taste, but I will say that it does taste horrible, so avoid licking your lips if your wear it. Although if you wanted to put a positive spin on this, it means that it would last for longer as you will refrain from licking it!

~My Opinion~
Overall, this is a good lipgloss which is lovely and shiny, and does make your lips noticeably softer. I was originally quite irriatated at how little I actually got with it, and that it was quite sticky, but its appearance and effect happily compensated. It's ok value wise although it doesn't last very long, and I'm sure a cheaper alternative would be just as effective. I got mine in clear, as I just wanted an everyday lipgloss, but there are a range of available colours which do actually look quite appealing! I would definitely go ahead and purchase this if it is on offer, and consider purchasing it at full price, but again follow my advice and get one online for a lot less! It's roughly about £4 in most chemists which is quite a good price.

Despite its flaws - it's a good lipgloss.

~Websites~
www.rimmellondon.com/me (At the time of writing, the website doesn't actually function very well, but this might just be my computer - I would be interested to know if it works for others!)

Thanks for reading! =] x

• just.bcoz published 04/03/2008
    Great review
  • Popalee published 29/08/2007
    Great review. I checked out the Rimmel site after reading it and I had problems with it as well- every time I tried to view products I'd get a "please try again" message
  • lawjlove published 29/08/2007