Roberts Revival DAB (RD60)

Roberts Revival DAB (RD60)

Radio Devices, Portable Radios - without CD Player - without Cassette Player

Review of "Roberts Revival DAB (RD60)"

published 01/09/2012 | luceey
Member since : 11/06/2009
Thank you for taking the time to read and rate my reviews, I will always return rates... I am also on Dooyoo as xxlucexx.
Pro 1950s style, sound quality & appearance.
Cons Expensive.
Alarm Quality
Radio Quality
Clock Quality
Sound & Volume
Range of Features

"A Perfect Retro Revival by Roberts."

The front of the radio.

The front of the radio.

Roberts Radios

Roberts is an English company, based in South Yorkshire, which is famous for creating fabulous, timeless radios. The company has been making radios for over 80 years and they have a huge variety available. Their products are unique, individual, of high quality and durable. That is why they have been so successful for so long. I first came across a Roberts radio about five years ago when I was in Cornwall. I instantly adored the vintage design of them and found myself looking out for them wherever I went. I have always adored them from afar but it was only recently that I took the plunge invested in one. I hope that it will last me for many years to come!

Revival RD-60

The Revival RD-60 has a classic 1950s retro design with up-to-date DAB features. It is the classic radio that springs to mind when you think about Roberts or vintage electronics. It has a whole range of features, which makes it a brilliant gadget, designed to suit all of your listening needs. It is portable and the perfect size to move around so you can listen to music wherever you like. It is by far my favourite of all of the Roberts radios that I have seen!

The beauty of it..

The main reason I fell in love with radio and decided to buy it was for its appearance. I am a huge fan of vintage and this radio had the perfect 1950s retro style. The radio has a wooden casing and a leather-cloth finish. It is a rectangular shape and has a foldable handle to carry it with. A gold plated Roberts sign appears on the front of the radio and the gold speaker makes up the rest. The radio is not very big but it is the perfect size for what it is at 250mm (w) x 155mm (h) x 100mm (d). It weighs just 1.49 kg so it is ideal for transporting around the house. The design of the radio really is stunning and it is just beautiful to look at.

Which colour?

The radio is available in a variety of vintage, pastel colours. It took me quite a while to decide on the colour that I did, as they all are stunning. The colours are burgundy, duck egg, green, pastel cream, red, cocoa, cassis, pastel pink, saffron, leaf and blue. I eventually decided on the leaf colour as it looked fresh and it is the type of colour that would blend in well anywhere. All of the colours available are beautiful and if I could afford it I would get one in every shade, but for now, I am very happy with my leaf green radio.

Power

There are two ways of powering the radio; with batteries or with an AC adaptor. The radio takes four D size batteries and it recommended that these are used for occasional use or when not near a mains socket. The alternative way of powering the radio is through an AC adaptor, which connects the radio to a mains socket through a socket on the back of the radio. I tend to plug the radio in when I am listening to it however; it has some batteries in for if I move it out of the reach of a plug. The D size batteries last for approximately 120 hours of listening time.

Controls

The controls to the radio are on the top of it so that they are easily accessible and neatly laid out. There are two knobs at either side, one for volume control and one for tuning control. There is also a LCD display screen with ROBERTS underneath it and a royal stamp of approval either side. The screen is of a very high quality and it is very clear. There is also a low battery indicator, a headphone socket, an auxiliary input socket, the on/off button, a favourite button, a FM/DAB button, an auto tune button, an info button and a preset button. There is a telescopic gold aerial that folds up from the back and is easily extendable to improve radio signal. All of the controls are easy to understand and there is a great manual included with the radio that helps explain each and every one.

Tuning

To use the radio, first of all you need to carefully extend the aerial. I find that I can get a good signal without always doing this however; it certainly helps in some areas of the house. The easiest way to tune your radio is to hit auto-tune or if that does not suit, then manually scroll through until you find the station of your choice. Saving the stations into favourites is easy too so that every time you turn the radio on, they are there waiting for you. It clearly displays on the LCD screen what radio station you are listening to and it tells you when it is saved etc. The tuning scans are very sensitive and they pick up all the reachable radio stations out there.

FM or DAB?

FM or DAB? The choice is there. I personally prefer DAB, as there is a larger variety of great stations to listen to however sometimes I do switch over to FM too. The quality of DAB radio is so much higher than FM and this is another reason why I prefer to listen to it also. My favourite stations include Radio 1, Heart, Kiss and Capital FM.

Sockets

The radio has three sockets which are there to improve your listening experience. On the top of the radio, there is a headphone socket so that you can listen to the radio more privately and an auxiliary input socket so that you can plug your iPod or MP3 player in and listen to your music off that. On the back of the radio, just above where you plug in your adapter there is a line out socket where you can attach an external speaker. Each socket has a 3.5mm dia. I love plugging my iPod in to the radio and playing my favourite songs through it.

Sound Quality

The radio has a 75mm full range speaker which gives it a fantastic, crystal clear sound quality. The radio goes quite loud but no matter what the volume, the sound stays consistently good. I was quite surprised when I first turned the radio on and listened to how wonderful the sound was, as I had never heard a radio so clear. From the first listen, you can tell that the radio is of a very high standard.

Once you have had a quick fiddle around with all the buttons and worked out what does what then the radio is very easy to use. If you save a few of your favourite radio stations then it makes it easier and quicker to reach them when you turn it on. The LCD screen is a great help and reference feature that tells you everything you need to know. There is a superb manual included with the radio that talks you through how to use it and what everything does in understandable terms.

Important Information
Here are some important and great tips for keeping your radio at its best:
  • do not expose the radio to water, steam or sand.
  • wipe clean with a damp cloth only.
  • avoid storing the radio at extreme temperatures.

Guarantee
Roberts offer a guarantee with the radio so that if it is faulty or should breakdown due to a fault within twelve months from the original purchase date then they will replace or fix it. More information regarding this can be found in the radio’s manual.

Price & Availability

The radios RRP is £160 however I would definitely recommend shopping around to see where you can get the best deal. I bought my radio off Isme.com as I had a money off voucher and so I actually ended up paying £130. This does seem a lot for a radio however in my opinion it is definitely worthwhile. It is a fantastic addition to any home and is of a very high quality.

Overall Opinion

I cannot emphasise how much I love this radio. After admiring them for years, I am so glad that I finally bought one. I hope that with a little but of care this radio will last me for a long time. It is such a beautiful feature to have in any room and because it is portable, I can place it anywhere to enjoy. It is not just about how it looks though; the radio has great software and features that make it even more desirable. I love that I can enjoy music from my iPod on the radio and that the sound quality is so high, it makes listening to music an even more pleasurable experience!

Recommend?

I would definitely recommend this radio to anyone and everyone. It is quite pricey; however, it is a very worthwhile investment and is sure to be a prized possession of anybody who is a fan of the 1950s vintage style and classic radios.

Website

For more information about Roberts and this radio, check out their website at www.robertsradio.co.uk.

Review also on dooyoo under xxlucexx.

• sirodar published 01/05/2015
    Excellent review. Very interesting x
  • jo-1976 published 15/06/2013
    Comprehensive account x
  • jjcross published 31/12/2012
    A superb write up. But like the iPod which plays music I see them both as pointless devices as both my Tablet and Smartphone can both play music on both storage and radio and it's free!

offers "Roberts Revival DAB (RD60)"