Face Mask - Cleansing Mask

Review of "Roger & Gallet Aura Mirabilis Extra Fine Cleansing Mask"

published 28/02/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1982
Sad to see this site no longer paying. Thanks to everyone for reading and rating over the years and hope not to lose touch with long term ciaoers.
Pro Gentle, 99% natural, cleansed my skin
Cons Quite expensive and owned by L'Oreal who have questionable ethics re animal testing

"Roger & Gallet Aura Mirablis mask"

Roger & Gallet Le Soin Aura Mirablis Extra Fine Cleansing Mask

I am a great one for sending for freebies and samples and one of my freebies was set of samples from Roger & Gallet for the Le Soin products which included this mask. I have seen Roger & Gallet products around but have never bought any so was very pleased to have the chance to try these and see what I thought.

~~~~~ ABOUT ROGER & GALLET ~~~~~~

This is a really old company founded in 1862 . Their products were then based on ones around in the Napoleonic period . Apparently according to the company website a special roll top bottle of the cologne R &G hold the recipe for was created for the man himself and he used 60 of these each month. R & G created the first round soap in 1979 and they use this same recipe today. They have been official supplier to royal courts for many years.

Their products were inspired by a natural remedy recipe created by monks around 300 years ago which was either drunk or applied externally which was called "Aqua Mirabilis". It used 18 distilled officinal plants grown in their "Garden of Simples". Apparently Roger & Gallet now owns this recipe.

They state that they use 95% natural ingredients and all products contain 100% distilled precious essences .

Trying to find their stance on animal testing. It seems thy do not test on animals but do not carry the leaping bunny symbol which seems odd. I have since discovered that this is yet another company owned by L'Oreal whose reputation is questionable to say the least.

Roger & Gallet have a number of product ranges of which this le Soin is one.

~~~~~ABOUT THE LE SOIN RANGE ~~~~~

The LE SOIN AURA MIRABILIS beauty ritual range is made using eighteen natural essences of medicinal distilled plants and extra fine sunflower flower oil. The range is based on four steps and products to “restore, refine skin tone, reduce irregularities, smooth the appearance of wrinkles, and infuse radiance, revealing a beautiful, radiant complexion.”

~~~~~~ THE MASK ITSELF ~~~~~

This claims it has 99% natural ingredients and is paraben free. It has been dermalogically tested and is suitable for sensitive skins. It dos also say to avoid the area near your eyes so it probably would sting though I haven't tested that!

I have a 3 ml sample but the full sized product comes in a tube holding 125 ml according to the company site and 100 ml according to those sites selling it! It also varies in price from £12.75 from Escentual to £17 from House of Fraser so I would suggest shopping around.

~~~~~~ MY VIEWS AND EXPERIENCE ~~~~~

This product has a dual use I that you can use I as a cleanser to remove make up and dirt from your skin and also use it as a detoxifying mask. I think you could also combine bth by using it to cleanse your skin and lave it on for five minutes before rinsing it and all the make up off.

The actual product is quite a thick clear gel like texture and initially it feels sort of tacky. Once I spread it on my face it felt more oily that tacky and didn't feel tingly or uncomfortable at all.

It has a faint scent, very faint to almost unnoticeable but slightly floral . It certainly wouldn't offend anyone as it really is so very mild.

On my skin it felt as though I had something quite heavy on my face, like any face mask that is spreadable. The plus of this is that being clear you could wear it in the house but answer the door if needed as no one would notice you had it on. It just looks slightly shinier or wet compared to dry skin.

When I got some on my lips it did have a 'flavour'. I didn't lick my lips but the scent kind of gave a taste and that was a floral 'taste'.

I used mine both ways to get the full experience and last night removed my make up with this. I applied a thin layer and Massaged it into my skin. I then used my bamboo fabric face cloth wet to massage a bit more. When the water as added to my face the product became milky white and much more liquid in texture. I could clearly see on my face cloth that it had removed all my make up from my face.

As I had to avoid my eyes I used my usual make up remover that is safe for eyes to get off any make up from there. Personally I use a make up remover that is safe for eyes all over my face usually as it is too much of a faff to use two products. So while this did remove make up well as I found no traces left on my cotton pads when toning my face, I personally prefer a make up remover I can use on my eyes at the same time.

As a mask the next day I applied this on my face avoiding my eye area and left it on for five minutes. My face was already clean so it was purely used as a detoxifying mask this time.

After the five minutes I massaged my face gently before rinsing the product off using my face cloth. As before the product became more liquid and turned a whit colour. It was easy to remove and required no scrubbing or multiple wipes which some face masks need. I just rinsed the cloth out two or three times and wiped all the stuff off before toning and moisturising as usual.

I cannot honestly say my skin looked more radiant or that different but it didn't feel tight or irritated at all either. I think skin radiance is something I lost some time ago and having just returned from Asia I am still looking tired and jet lagged so that also doesn't help. However my skin felt nice and soft and smooth and I didn't have any unpleasant reaction on my sensitive skin ether so that is a plus.

This has eighteen plants and herb distillations all regarded as beneficial an these include :
sandalwood,geranium, neroli, lemon zest, thyme. Lavender to types, sweet orange, lemongrass, green mandarin, damask rose, palmarosa, citronelle, bitter orange laf, may change, magnolia, bergamot and rosemary. An imprssive and interesting list, many of which I know are beneficial as I have completed an aromatherapy course and have also used these I other natural products so there is obviously a consensus agreement that they are good for the skin and detoxifying .

~~~~~~ WOULD I BUY THIS AGAIN? ~~~~~

Although it did the job both as a cleanser and felt good as a mask I am not sure I would rush to buy it again as I prefer a cleanser I can use all over my face including my eyes and it is quit expensive. Having said that if I was given it or could buy it for nearer the cheaper price of Escentuals then maybe if I needed a mask I might buy it.

I like the company ethics but am less thrilled o see that once again L'Oreal that less than great company regarding animal testing has bought yet another company with good ethics into their group just like they did with Body Shop.

This was a pleasant mask and efficient cleanser that felt nice and left my skin feeling clean and looking healthy through not exactly radiant.

Thanks for reading.