Ronseal Paint & Grain

Ronseal Paint & Grain

Wood Stain/Treatment

Review of "Ronseal Paint & Grain"

published 08/04/2004 | dcojago
Member since : 01/06/2003
Pro cheap, easier than glossing
Cons waiting for paint to dry

"no more glossing for me"

I have started to redecorate my house as I have had plastering done in every room. I have been dreading doing the glossing. I hate glossing in such a pain and only looks nice for a few months.
So I decided I was going to replace all of my skirting boards, doors and door frames to have a natural wood effect. What an exepensive project. Then I remembered the T.V ad I see a few years ago for Ronseal Paint and Grain.
So I took a look at the Do I t All and B&Q web sites. Few they still sold it. So I went along to Do It All and got some.

The box:

It's red with blackand white striped writting saying Ronseal and under that in white it says Paint and Grain. It shows all the diffrent colours it comes in, let's you know what the box contains. What you can and can't use the paint for, how to apply the paint, precautions to take, and it has The Prince Of Wales Award for Innovation which was awarded in 1997.

Whats in the box:

1 ltr of base coat
500ml of graincoat
graining tools
instruction leaflet

Colours it comes in:

Antique Pine (this is the colour I choose)
Rustic Oak
Limed Oak
Deep Mahogany
Paffic Blue (looks lovley colour for a bathroom)

Coverage:

24 square meters per coat
4 standard doors on both sides needing 2 base coats
40 standard kitchen unit doors on 1 side
Coverage can vary with type and colour of the surface being treated.

Types of material it can be used on:

Painted wood
MDF
Melamine
Plastic
Plywood
Chipboard

Things it can be used on:

Kitchen units, Skirting boards, Interior window frames,Panelling, Dado and picture rails, Cupboards, Stair rails and bainsters, Interior doors, Occsional tables, Shelving, Furniture, Painted radiators, Picture and mirror frames, Tongue and groove boards,Flat Curved and Intricate areas.

What you can't use it on:

Floors, Exterior surfaces, Desks, UPVC windows, frames or doors, Kitchen work tops, Glass and Bare metal.

How to use:

1. Wash surface sand down and wash again then wait for it to dry.
2. You apply 1-2 base coats and allow each coat to dry. It susposed to take 4 hours but took around 7 hours. This is probley because iI haven't had my radiators put back on the walls yet so theres no heating in the whole house. The paint covers really well and stayed on where old paint work had chipped.
3.Liberally apply graincoat. Very easy for sloppy painters because brush marks don't matter.
4. Take the comb tool and run across the surface doesn't matter the lines arn't straight. It gives a better effect if there a bit wonky.
5. Take the graining tool and draw it along the surface in a continuous motion whilst rocking the tool at infrequent intervals. This takes a bit of practice but it doesn't matter if you go wrong. All you do is brush over the area again comb it then use the graining tool again.
5. For added protection Ronseal recommend you use Ronseal quick Drying Clear Varnish. You have to buy this seperately though.

What I think of the product and the effect:

I love the effect this paint has left on my door and skirting boards it looks great. When i was painting with this product there was no horrid fumes either. It is so cheap and easy too use i will be using it all over the house. The first product I have used that does exactly what it says it does. Once i've finished my house my mum wants me to do her house for her too. We both think my doors look brand new and the effect is really good.

P.S I CAN NOT BE SURE ON DURABILITY AS I HAVE NOT LONG PAINTED MY SKIRTING BOARDS AND DOORS

• luckyarchers published 06/06/2004
    You say "cheap, easier than glossing" and you love the effect. What more could we ask of this product. Interesting review.
  • Birky published 06/06/2004
    This stuff is fantastic! Laura x
  • COOOEEE published 13/04/2004
    I recently saw the grain effect on a door and was really impressed. Fionaxx