Review of "Rosie Thomas"

published 18/08/2008 | mothd
Member since : 18/08/2008
Pro mystery in maine
Cons expected slighly more on conclusion
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"moon island"

I have just completed an English degree and spent the past three years reading books that were not from personal choice. However, now that I have finished my compulsory readiing, I have just read a comparatively light weight read for the first time in the past three years! I chose 'Moon Island' to read whilst on a beach holiday in Majorca. I laid on the beach every day reading this novel and felt convinced that I was being transported to the wild coast of Maine where the book is based. I loved the story and couldnt but it down. Rosie Thomas's unique perceptions about the human character, whether young or old, male or female, kept me enthralled throughout. I love the mystery that she brings to her novels, and remember reading Potters House with equal enjoyment. However, this book just makes me want to spend my summers in a white clap boarded house on the untamed coast of Maine, and meet the characters that the author creates who seem to 'walk' out of every page. They are so real that I feel I know every one of them, probably because I have met people who are just the same as the characters described in the book. Most notably, Aaron Fennemnore reminded me of how my own elderly father used to be. The passions of teenage years took my mind back to my own mis spent youth! How perceptive of Rosie Thomas to highlight the passions and dreams of first love that is evident in Doone. I loved the William/Sarah twist which was completely unexpected, although I worked out Marty from the first photograph of May playing volleyball. Overall, this was wonderful escapism and I shall miss it. Tomorrow I plan to go to the bookshop and buy another of Rosie Thomas's brilliantly crafted novels.

• manlybeach published 18/08/2008