Rotring Tikky Mechanical Pencil with Ergonomic Wave Grip

Rotring Tikky Mechanical Pencil with Ergonomic Wave Grip

Ergonomic wave grip for control while writing Classic design mechanical pencils, great for office and school use Button, clip and tip are non-tarnishi...

Review of "Rotring Tikky Mechanical Pencil with Ergonomic Wave Grip"

published 27/08/2017 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Bit worried about my wife's driving. She told me the other day that she nearly ran over a squirrell on her way to work - hey, this is an animal that LIVES IN A TREE!!
Pro Looks classy, easy to hold
Cons No integral eraser

""Tikks" all my boxes"

"Tikks" my ukulele chord boxes!

"Tikks" my ukulele chord boxes!

I’m a fairly recent convert to mechanical pencils. Until about a year ago, I used any kind of pencil very little; maybe if I’ve been doing some DIY (not my forte – anyone remember the old song, “Right, Said Fred”? It could have been written about me!) or decorating, or maybe in the workplace where temporary and erasable jottings or notes have been needed.

The past few years have seen me read more books, and, whilst I believe passionately that books should be treated like good friends, I’m by no means averse to adding a few underlinings here and there or adding a note or two in the margins. Pencil is far less obtrusive.

Why mechanical pencils?

Mechanical pencils are too fine and delicate for drawing lines on wood or rolls of wallpaper, of course, but I really do like them for writing with. They are also probably not best suited to sketching, though I can’t vouch for this. What I do know is that for sketching the recommendation is to sharpen a normal pencil lead to a chisel-like tip to provide a choice between fine and thick lines.

Pros…

~ ~ ~ a good quality one is easy for me to grip

~ ~ ~ the lead is narrow/fine. This is often preferable to thick lines, or to writing or underlining that is of variable thickness due to the “lead” becoming blunter

~ ~ ~ I don’t need to sharpen the pencil – when the point wears down, the click button on the top is lightly pressed to feed more lead to the tip

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ this is a DEFINITE bonus – a pencil sharpener (or, perish the thought for the elf-and-safe-tea fanatics, a “Stanley” type knife with a razor-sharp edge to the blade!) isn’t always to hand when I need one. This is especially the case in the workplace. Many people have a pencil; perhaps one in four or five have a pencil sharpener (or an eraser, for that matter!) The smaller or finer the writing needs to be, the more frequent sharpening a normal pencil requires!

Also, I find it a distraction to break off from what I am doing in order to sharpen a pencil! And, as if these aren’t reasons enough, cheap pencils often don’t sharpen well; either the wood or the “lead” break or crumble easily (and, let’s face it, many workplaces insist on buying the cheapest that are available!)

~ ~ ~ mechanical pencils/refill leads are available in a choice of thickness and some (though limited) choice of lead hardness (HB, etc) is available.

Cons…

Although I’m a fan of mechanical pencils, there’s no denying that they have several drawbacks.

~ ~ ~ the fineness of the lead makes them prone to break if “heavy handed”, that is, if you press down or to one side when using. The fine lead also makes them unsuitable for anything where anything other than a fine line is required

~ ~ ~ replacement leads are available in a much more restricted choice of hardness (HB etc) than is possible with normal pencils

~ ~ ~ they AREN’T therefore all-purpose pencils. Essentially their main use is for writing or fine-line drawing

suitable

Rotring tikky

Rotring are a long-established name in the production of professional, draughtsman-calibre and quality ink/cartridge pens.

~ ~ ~ Appearance

I find this a fairly handsome item; this may not matter to you. Maybe it’s a bit sad that it matters to me. I genuinely find, however, as mentioned in my Parker jotter pen review, that a pen or pencil that looks and feels good makes me take more care in my handwriting.

The top section of the barrel of my “Tikky” is black, and bears the Rotring logo, along with the “Tikky” product name, and the pencil lead thickness (0.5) in millimetres.

The chrome clip is fairly sturdy, tight (i.e. it really does grip a pocket lining!). It bears the Rotring logo. The very top – which feeds the lead down the barrel – is also chrome.

The lower section, neatly set apart from the upper one by a red ring, is black and grey in colour. It’s described as “rubberised” and moulded to optimise ease of holding it. I find the shaping fairly subtle – try to imagine a stack of miniature tyres. Although round in profile, its diameter comprises four alternate sections of colour; two are entirely grey, two are alternate blocks of grey and black. To me, the grey is subtle enough to break up the black colouration, without being brash or gaudy.

Above the tip proper the chrome lowest section tapers to the fine metal tube through which the lead protrudes. I think the amount of chrome and shape of the taper (the taper is uniform, not made up of several profiles) adds to the classiness of the appearance.

The pencil does NOT contain an eraser in the tip.

RATING FOR APPEARANCE: 10/10

~ ~ ~ A Tikky in the hand is worth…

…quite a lot, in my opinion. I find its weight is light, but, more importantly, I really do find that the shaped lower section of the barrel works really well. I don’t have to grip it hard; the pencil is easy to hold and to use for prolonged use, and doesn’t slip easily.

RATING FOR COMFORT: 10/10

~ ~ ~ Performance

I am very happy with the performance of this pen. It works well for fine-line work and for jotting with. In some ways, the inclusion of an eraser would be useful, inbuilt pencil erasers soon wear out, and are often of inferior quality. The inclusion of an integral eraser in this pencil would also be detrimental to its appearance.

It IS a slight nuisance in some situations; it all depends on how important the details of appearance and ease of use are.

RATING FOR PERFORMANCE: 8.5/10

~ ~ ~ Value for money

There are much cheaper mechanical pencils available, some of which are cheap enough to treat as disposable, if need be. I quite like ZEBRA mechanical pencils (proposal of which for reviewing was declined) for being cheap and cheerful, and with integral low-quality eraser.

You gets what you pays for, however, and I do feel that the smart appearance and ease of grip makes the Rotring Tikky a worthwhile purchase. For any continuous writing (i.e. anything other than stop-and-start use like Sudoku or a crossword puzzle) they are very comfortable and not fatigue-inducing, in my experience.

Rymans offer this for £3.99, Amazon for £3.25; Amazon offer a set of three for £5.80, which is great value. WH Smith offer a pencil, (separate) eraser and 12 replacement leads for £5.99. It’s also available as part of a set, along with a ballpoint pen and highlighting pen; Amazon offer this set for £16.15.

Overall rating: 4.5 stars (some may prefer a pencil with an integral eraser, rounded up to 5 stars.

• siberian-queen published 06/09/2017
    i always end up snapping these to easily
  • NBCMad92 published 31/08/2017