Rover 214i Convertible

Rover 214i Convertible

Convertible - Petrol

Review of "Rover 214i Convertible"

published 22/04/2008 | firebladegal
Member since : 25/01/2007
Pro Proper 4 seater cabriolet, cheap to buy and run
Cons Cylinderhead gasket prone to going
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Rover 214SEi Cabriolet"

I have had this car for over a year now. It is a 1995 214SEi in British Racing Green and came with alloy wheels as standard. This is my second summer with the car and I love it.
It is a family cabriolet as it is a proper 4 seater not a 2+2 like some other soft tops available. The interior of mine is quite basic although I do have power front windows and power roof. The drivers seat has height adjustment which is great for vertically challenged people like myself (I am 5ft 1!!")
The rear windows are manual and can get become a bit annoying as you can quite easily forget to wind them up. The car came with a basic radio cassette which can very easily be changed for a posh stereo but as I use the car regularly with the roof down, the basic radio/cassette is less of a prize for a car stereo thief especially when you want to park and leave the car with the roof down. The glovebox also locks and the boot cannot be accessed from the car. The rear seats fold down with a lever located in the boot.
The car has a alarm/immobilisor as standard along with remote central locking .
The car is very easy to drive as it has power steering but vision is reduced with the roof down when reversing. The steering wheel is height adjustable too. Electric mirrors were an optional extra though mine doesn't have this option. It isn't really needed as the door mirrors are a good size and rearward vision is great. The boot is quite big but low due to the space the power roof needs when retracted and the extra strengthening needed as its a cabriolet. I get the family weekly shop in without any problems.
The power roof retracts in about 8-10 seconds and the most time consuming thing regarding the roof is putting on the tonneau cover which is secured by the boot lid and pressed studs.
I average about 35-40 mpg around town if driven carefully although the car is capable of over 100 mph even with the roof down. There is hardly any wind noise when driving with the roof down .
This car is really reliable if properly maintained. The cylinder head gasket is prone to going on these cars but replacements are very easily to find and my partner and I replaced it in a few hours. As I said parts are very easily available and cheap.
I would definately have another Rover Cabriolet without hesitation though next time I would get the 216 for a bit more gusto.
This car look fabulous with the roof down and it does still gets admiring glances still even though mine is 13 years old.

• olijt08 published 24/04/2008
    Very good review with lots of information. The older Rover 200/400 were very good cars.
  • headcase44 published 22/04/2008
    Good review...I do admire women who know a thing or two about cars. Well done. J.