Rover Mini 1.3

Rover Mini 1.3

Hatchback - Petrol

Review of "Rover Mini 1.3"

published 12/12/2000 | blockidge
Member since : 07/12/2000
Good
Pro Everybody loves Minis
Cons Rover are not an easy company to deal with
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Rover Mini Cooper 13i"

I have always loved the mini, and as soon as I left full-time education and became employed, I bought a newish Mini Cooper. Having previously owned several Mini's including a classic Cooper and a cabriolet and other various 'rust-buckets', I couldn't resist a new one. I purchased it second-hand from a Mini Specialist in Padiham, Lancs for a very good price. After a year or so, I decided I had outgrown Minis, so went to a Rover Dealer at Trident Weybridge to order a Rover 200. There I saw a brand-new Mini Cooper Sports and couldnt resist. I ordered one for August 1st delivery and this is where my story begins though I wish it had ended.

Rover offered me 4,300 GBPounds as Part Exchange in July 1998, and quoted me a price of 11,000 GBpounds for the new model.

On July 31st, when it came to pay for the new model, my previous mini had been reduced in value to 3,000 GBPounds. I had signed a contract with the dealer so could not back out of the deal. I was conned.

Since purchase, the car has been returned to a Rover dealer for various repairs 19 times, and has spent a total of 3 months off the road. One repair in particular took 3 weeks in the workshop and when it was returned to me, the fault had not been rectified. The dealership claimed it was a design fault I had to Live with, and they couldn't fix it that week because one of the sales managers had crashed his car and needed the courtesy car I was using. I refused to take my vehicle back until it was repaired. A mechanic then kicked the door to fix the fault, a warped window channel and left a huge dent in the door. Again they requested the courtesy car back, threatening me with legal action if I refused. I refused to return the car until mine was repaired and I was greeted with abuse, but the car was fixed.

I took the situation up with Rover Customer care who weren't really interested. That evening the vehicle broke down again, and again Rover were not really concerned. Another two weeks later and my car was returned. The courtesy car I was promised never arrived and I spent two weeks using taxis.

There are many other faults to my vehicle, and similar stories from other mini owners, New Cooper Sports. I would not reccommend dealing with Rover for a new car, but I would reccommend a second-hand Mini Cooper. I may have been unlucky, but for what I've been through, I still love my Mini. Its that kind of car. Good luck to anybody who buys a Mini from Rover!!

• Deviant published 18/06/2001
    And you have given it a rating of 3 stars, I think 1 star would be more realistic. Especially for a ugly unreliable car that is out of date. For a 11K I would have had a citroen VTR at least it looks nicer and has a bigger engine.
  • lyricalt published 30/01/2001
    Sounds all too familiar. The first two cars I ever owned were both Rovers. First one was a Rover 216 with a leaky sunroof and full of rust but at least it got me from A to B. Second was a Rover 414Si which was... well... read my opinion about it, and let's just say I'd never buy another Rover if I live for a thousand years and Rover somehow achieve world domination. Rover dealerships, Volvo Dealerships, Ford, Nissan, they're all tarred with the same brush. All the after-sales service crap they give you at the point of sale all goes out the window as soon as they've got your money.