Rover Mini 1.3

Rover Mini 1.3

Hatchback - Petrol

Review of "Rover Mini 1.3"

published 15/01/2007 | jonescd76
Member since : 15/01/2007
Pro Handling - Low running costs - Style
Cons Ground clearance
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Rover Mini Cooper MPI 1.3i"

No matter what anyone says about a Mini, they will have a smile on their face when they are speaking to you.

The people who bad mouth Mini's HAVE NOT driven one, they do not like them full stop.
They are a joy an absolute joy, and at the same time a nightmare, a bottomless pit for expenditure - some might say, but if you get the right one, it will look after you, if you look after it.(!)
If it leaks little or no oil, does well on fuel and stops when you ask it to, you have a winner. They are prone to rust, but wash them every week and it will look better for longer.

The Mini is a car with a big personality, it really is. I have owned several, some good and some bad one too, but through it all I can say I have enjoyed them all.
Handling is superb, running costs are low, I am getting about 48mpg in my 1.3i! I have a later P (97) version where Rover blessed the Mini with a tall 4th gear, enabling the nipper to exceed 100mph, but I would not advise silly driving in these cars, you would need a roll cage for that kind of driving, and certainly off the public roads! I have done it out of curiosity!!

I have a full electric moon roof in mine, with full complimentary green leather seats to enhance the British racing green exterior. With the added extras of the SRS air bag and side impact bars, I feel safer than I used to in my older J (91) cooper, but I must say thank you to Rover for the taller 4th gear again; motorway driving is a pleasure!

I am 6 feet tall and manage to drive it fine, I have extending seat brackets on my driver seat, and space is great, there really is an open feeling in the cockpit as the visibility is also far superior to modern day cars.

Rust is a problem so wax oil is a necessity for all owners. The sills are the worst, but can vary depending on where you live.
Boot space is not great, and you will find yourself using the back seat for storage more than you think, but it is not that bad...

I am also currently running it with a power boost valve which boosts performance (so it says) I have noticed an increase in oil usage from it on the higher settings, but at the lower level it helps acceleration and removes flat spots very well. There probably will be long term damage, but it is a price I am willing to pay for the performance. (let me know if you have more info about this jonescd76@hotmail.com).

Overall I am very happy with this car, I will always keep this car on the road. Viva la Mini!

• jippo published 15/01/2007
    I've always fancied a Mini, maybe one day! Welcome to Ciao by the way. Fran x
  • INXS-Girl published 15/01/2007
    Nice review - this has been my fave car since I was a little girl.