Roy of the Rovers: World Cup Special - Davis Sque, Tom Tully, Joe Colquhoun

Roy of the Rovers: World Cup Special - Davis Sque, Tom Tully, Joe Colquhoun

Review of "Roy of the Rovers: World Cup Special - Davis Sque, Tom Tully, Joe Colquhoun"

published 29/12/2011 | bbicuk01
Member since : 05/02/2007
I am an IT teacher at a Sixth Form College. I enjoy all sports and love reading and surfing the net. I will try and return ratings as soon as I can, if I forget comment on my guestbook and I'll get back to you
Pro Great Characters and fun football stories
Cons World Cup Special but not much actually in the World Cup
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Graphics
Readability

"Roy lights up the International Stage"

So Santa was a great success and listened to my request for another Roy of the Rovers best of annual. This one is the Roy of the Rovers World Cup Special, it highlights some of Roy's best International adventures. The back of the book says - "Collected together for the first time ever, join Roy Race, England's greatest football striker and player-manager, on his very best World Cup adventures. Experience thrilling, nail-biting international soccer action from the 1960's, 1970's and 1990's plus features, photos and period ads."

Now this is the first thing I have to disagree with, the book talks about Roy in World Cup action and apart from a short dream sequence not one of the stories is actually about Roy at the World Cup. The stories are all international stories with England or Melchester. The stories are:
  1. What I guess to be a 1960's story where Roy is injured so can't go to the World Cup so he joins Melchester on a tour of Australia where they play an international tournament.
  2. A 1970's story where Roy is in Mexico at the World Cup while the rest of Melchester are at an International tournament in South America. The story focuses on the team until Roy returns from Mexico and helps them in the matches. There are some other fun aspects of this story that I will let you get from reading it.
  3. Another 1970's story where Roy becomes player-manager of the England team for a friendly against Holland. The England team includes Trevor Francis and Malcolm MacDonald
  4. A 1990's story where Roy is player-manager of the England B team and his son Rocky is involved. The date of this story can be judged by the new England player who plays and acts uncannily like Paul Gascoigne and the involvement of the USA team.

All four stories are really good reads and great fun, I can't fault them and apart form some of the language used in the 1960's stories you wouldn't be able to tell the dates. The characters are really well written and drawn, although I do have to say I prefer the 1960's and 1970's style to the one from the 1990's. In between the stories are lots of England World Cup images from 1966, 1970 and a wall-chart for 1990. There are other general articles about English football that are interesting to read and an introduction by Gary Lineker. There are some nice adverts of the advertising things like subbuteo and shots of Roy of the Rovers front covers, which make interesting viewing.The 1980's collection that I have also reviewed was one story that ran through the entire annual and this one is a collection of stories. I think I actually preferred the one long story but this annual was good as well. I would recommend it to any Roy of the Rovers fan whatever their age. You can get this collection from Amazon for about £7.00

• jb0077 published 24/03/2016
    vh
  • CelticSoulSister published 06/01/2016
    Well reviewed!
  • mozzie76 published 29/12/2011
    I used to read Roy of the Rovers when I was a child.