Royal Hotel & Spa, Kyoto

Kyoto Royal Hotel & Spa is located in Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan. Hotel Features. 24 hour front desk Restaurant Concierge desk Guestrooms.

Review of "Royal Hotel & Spa, Kyoto"

published 28/06/2016 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1977
Family and days of childminding now keeping me busy but I keep on rating more than writing. Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Perfect location for exploring Kyoto and clean room with free wifi
Cons hard pillows and bed
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Not Royal but very nice - Royal Hotel & Spa Hotel Kyoto"

Kyoto Royal Hotel & Spa

Sanjo-Agaru, Kawaramachi, Nakagyo-ku Kyoto, Japan 604-8005
We spent three nights in this hotel while exploring Kyoto which is a beautiful old town in Japan in the Kyoto Prefecture on Honshu Island which is the only island we visited on our tour which included Tokyo, Hiroshima and Kyoto mainly.

~~~~~~~~ WHY CHOOSE THIS HOTEL? ~~~~~~~

Well it was chosen for us by the Riviera travel tour but the reason they chose it was it situation within Kyoto as it is very central and within walking distance of Gion which is Kyoto's most famous geisha district and even closer to Pontocho which I knew more about having recently read a book about Geisha based in Pontocho.

The hotel is also right on Kawaramachi Street, which is Kyoto’s main restaurant and entertainment avenue. You can also easily access the city’s sights including Nijo Castle, Kiyomizu Temple, Kinkakuji Temple and Ginkakuji Temple.

This is a pretty basic looking building, square and functional and the hotel is a four star establishment.

~~~~~~~~GETTING THERE ~~~~~

Well we had no trouble as we were arriving in our coach and dropped off just around the corner near the small hotel car park.

It is however, an easy 6-minute walk from Sanjo train station so arrival by train is not a problem and you could get a taxi if you had a lot of luggage but the pavements are easily navigated and it is all flat so wheeled cases would make walking a possibility.

They have 100 parking spaces. And offer discount prices for guests, but don’t say anywhere how much you have to pay.
From the website :
“From Kyoto Shiyakushomae Subway Station: Approximately 1 minute on foot
From JR and Kintetsu Kyoto Station: Approximately 15-20 minutes by car
From Keihan Sanjo Station: Approximately 5 minutes on foot
From Hankyu Kawaramachi Station: Approximately 10 minutes on foot
Most convenient to take subways from JR-Kintetsu Kyoto Station.
Taking the subway from JR-Kintetsu Kyoto Station is the most convenient means of access”

~~~~~~~~WELCOME ~~~~~~

When arriving in a group from a tour welcome is always a bit different but the Japanese cater very well for groups and are highly efficient as allocating room keys far faster than anywhere else we have been on group tours.

The lobby is large open and spacious and basically very simple decorated in marble and wood, quite stylish and minimalist too. There were a number of places to sit with low backed squre looking comfortable sofas and chairs and all in all looked welcoming and pleasant and nice and light.

All the staff were helpful and able to point you in the right direction for different places when asked. Some spoke better English than others so it depended on who you asked.

If you arrived by taxi or car you could stop right outside the main doors and simple walk through the main doors but we arrived through a nearby street and had to walk through the car park before getting to the posh entrance!!

It is a medium sized hotel with 443 rooms ad these are on the 3rd to 10th floor of the building.

~~~~~~BOOKING AND PRICE ~~~~~~

Our price was included in our tour price but looking on line at the hotel’s own website rooms vary from a double smoking/nonsmoking room not including Breakfast for 2 people for 3 nights would be ¥50,500 and the same with breakfast which is what we had would be ¥62,500.

We were quite surprised to find smoking allowed in many places like hotel rooms, bars and even some other eating paces even if the smokers were in separate parts of the establishment we could still smell it.

On Expedia they have the room for £451 for two people for three nights without breakfast and for £519 with breakfast but they say it is a special sale price so who knows ! It is obviously a popular hotel because when looking for these prices I struggled to find dates to put in that had any vacancies and the dates I finally selected were in late October.

~~~~~~~OUR ROOM ~~~~~~
This was a decent sized room, very modern and simply decorated. We had two double beds with light wood bedheads and bedside tables with a single drawer and reading light which was a good light which I was happy with as I read in bed.

The beds were okay, quite hard we found and I was not keen on the pillows as they were also rather hard but we managed and slept well despite that but I did get a bit of an aching back after the three nights.

There was a large flatscreen TV but TV in Japan was ‘interesting’ to say the least as we speak no Japanese and I think there was CNN news as the only English language option so our news was gleamed from the internet most of the time as was my husband’s sport news.

We also had two relaxing chairs and a small round table near the window . The desk was under the TV which was on the wall. There was a desk chair there and at the other end a few drawers for storage.
There was a wardrobe with a coded safe and also two Japanese style bathrobes neatly folded for us to use, as well as slippers, a long handled shoe horn and clothes brush.

The room wasn’t huge but it was plenty big enough and we had plenty of space to store our clothes and bag as we had only taken one bag between us. Heaven knows what some people had as some of the single ladies had hand luggage larger than our one bag pus another large wheeled case for just over two weeks. They didn’t look any smarter than we did either!! The might have had trouble putting all their bits in drawers and hanging them!

A kettle with tea and coffee as well as matcha tea was also in a cupboard but you never got any milk only dry coffee creamer which is not good in tea.

The room was beautifully clean and housekeeping efficient each day so no complaints there at all. I discovered in the first hotel that when they clean the rooms all the bedding including the duvet is taken away for washing so thoroughly cleaned.

~~~~~ THE BATHROOM ~~~~~

This was quite small with a bath and shower over the bath and the usual Japanese toilet that had heated seats, flushed when you got up and could also act as a kind of bidet but that was something we didn’t experiment with!

They provided all the usual soaps, shampoos, conditioners but in bottles on the wall of the bath/shower which is more eco friendly that the small guest ones but not as nice I they are posh ones you want to take with you.

They also have toothbrushes, sponges, razors, make up remover pads and all kinds of extras all neatly packaged up for guest use in the bathroom so you really need never take any toiletries with you for travel to Japan as they provide almost anything you could need for a night’s stay.

~~~~~~~ANYTHING ELSE? ~~~~~
There was free wifi and it was pretty reliable and not bad at all.

Apparently in room massages are offered at an extra fee but I can’t comment on that as we didn’t take up that offer. There is also a spa in the hotel but as we were exploring the sights we didn’t check the spa out but I suspect it wasn’t cheap as nothing in Japan was cheap.

~~~~~~BREAKFAST ~~~~~~

I believe this is usually offered in the ground floor café but the hotel was so full and had a number of coach parties so we had our breakfast in one of the business or function rooms upstairs.

There was a huge variety of food on offer from cereals and fruit ( that was a bit liited to tinned stuff which was a shame) to cooked items of the usual choices and then you could move on to cakes and pastries or go for the Japanese options.

I rather boringly stuck to granola, yogurt and tinned fruit but my husband went for the cooked items and neither of us was tempted by the Japanese rice porridge or noodles with odd extras. We had previously tried the rice porridge and wasn’t good and noodles we tended to have at lunch rather than breakfast. Still the selection was there if you wanted.

The room was huge and functional but if you were lucky you managed to get a table by a window the views looked down to the street below and you watch everyone heading to work which was interesting.

~~~~~~AROUND THE HOTEL ~~~~~

As I mentioned this hotel was right on one of the main streets and near a shopping arcade so there was plenty of choices for places to eat or to do a bit of window shopping or even real shopping.

My husband doesn’t do shopping unless for something needed or for food so we just did a bit of a walk through the arcade to see what they had and people watch.

We ate at a number of different places around from sushi bars to grills serving okonomiyaki and also tried local snacks such as fish shaped waffle with red bean or sweet potato stuffing.

We walked through the narrow streets of Pontoco and also along the river. We walked to Gion and explore most of Kyoto on foot from the hotel apart from the trips we took out with our tour guide in the coach.

The hotel is perfectly situated to explore Kyoto and anything further than a nice walk is easily accessible by taxi.

~~~~~OTHER HOTEL AMENTITIES ~~~~

There were a couple of souvenir type shops near the café downstairs.

There was also a rather nice but a little odd to see “Library Lounge & Bar “HAVEN” on the ground floor just off the Lobby which they describe as an authentic English Bar, designed after a private reading room. It was very like that but somehow not what you expect to see in a Japanes hotel.
We had a drink in there one evening but like everything in Japan it was expensive and we had just the one drink at Happy Hour and that was London prices
The bar is open: Sunday – Thursday 5:00 pm to 12:00 midnight, Friday and Saturday 4:00 pm to 12:00 pm.

~~~~~~~~ RECOMMENDED? ~~~~~~

I don’t know how this compares with other hotels in Kyoto for price or standard but it was certainly clean and extremely conveniently located.

Riviera Travel who we traveled with have obviously down their research as each hotel was good and chosen for different reasons which suited the particular city we were visiting.

I would say you couldn’t go wrong selecting this hotel but you may find cheaper ones if you looked around.

I was going to take a star off for the hard beds and pillows but thought that would not really be fair.

Thanks for reading.