ewancombe 1

ewancombe

Member since:15.12.2008

Not Special Delivery and not by 9am

15.12.2008

Advantages:
Good for people who are at home all day .

Disadvantages:
No answer calling depot, re - arrange delivery is ignored and all blame each other .

Recommendable No:

3 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. paulpry118
  3. rd52169

I found a Special Delivery item was sent to me as standard by a ticket agent. I wasn't in because although Special Delivery letters are guaranteed to be there by 9am, it said 10:22 on the note. There's a 50/50 chance that I will be at home until 9am but never after 10am. I went online and arranged for the letter to go to my local postoffice by Saturday. I was given a receipt from the Royal Mail website clearly stating the postoffice and the date the letter would be there. All I had to do was take ID and sign at the PO.

On the Saturday however, I was in my house and at 10am was amazed to see a delivery note apparently posted through my door at 08:57. I had been in all morning so they could not have knocked the door. What's worse is that this meant my letter was on a posties round, in a bag, rather than in my nearby post office.

Of course nobody answers the phone number on the failed delivery note. This isn't a problem in December, it's a year round problem which constitutes false advertising of a service that you can guarantee will not be provided. Try phoning any postal depot in the UK and I can gurantee nobody will answer. False advertising if ever I saw it.

Then of course I popped along to the postoffice hoping the delivery would go there. It wasn't there and I was advised to come back later which I did. Still no letter. Given that this was a Saturday, the tickets in the letter were for Sunday, the letter was not at the postoffice which my receipt stated it would be. The failed delivery note said I should allow 24 hours before attempting to get my letter from the Depot. I had no choice, £70 worth of tickets were floating around in a posties bag and they would be worth £0 unless I could get them that day. In desperation I went to the depot and they were there! Amazingly good luck but if I arrange delivery to a local postoffice then that is what should happen, I don't want to spend all morning driving round in circles to get my post.

A) Why do posties not knock the door? I know it's demoralising when hardly anyone is in the house after 8am but you have to try!

B) Why do Royal Mail not deliver to local post offices even when this is arranged and they have sent a receipt. The rumour mill suggests the delivery workers don't like doing it. They are about as militant as you can get this side of the English Channel so if they don't want to then they won't.

C) Why do Royal Mail advertise phone number on failed delivery notes when there is a 1 in 1 chance that nobody will answer at the depot all year round. Why not just withdraw the false advertising of the service where you can call the depot when definitely cannot call any postal depot ever.

D) Why do ticket suppliers use this service, people who shop online aren't going to be in the house at 10am on a random weekday when the guranteed by 9am post is delivered. If you don't post the stupid tickets through the letter box without a signature then it's going to be a royal pain in the preverbial trying to get them. Tickets retrieved from the mail system after the event date are worthless.

E) When you go to a post office to collect an item of tracked mail, why can the person behind the counter not track this mail for you. If Royal Mail staff can't track items of mail then who can?

F) I don't care if the person I speak to works for Post Office Counters, Royal Mail or whatever, I want an answer from them that doesn't simply blame another group.

I'm not the kind of person who complains that stamp has gone up by 2p, frankly I think they're good value for money. We just need some common sense and for all the advertised features of the service to actually exist when you try use them.

digitalenvironmentalist 15.12.2008 15:30

Sometimes it is annoying to have this kind of problem. Two weeks ago, I was expecting a registered letter from Dubai and the postman did not bother to knock the door and left a notice slip advising me to visit the local office to pick the document. I was really disappointed! To be fair with Royal Mail, I think they are trying their best to improve their delivery system especially this holiday season, hiring additional casual workers to wok overtime. Im one of them!