Royal Naval Reserve

Royal Naval Reserve

Review of "Royal Naval Reserve"

published 18/08/2000 | sef
Member since : 12/08/2000
Pro Interesting, Good Fun, You get paid for it
Cons

"Join the Navy...and still keep your day job"

Looking for a spare time activity that can broaden your experience, give you tremendous travel opportunities, widen your social spectrum and pay you at the same time? Sounds a bit of a pipedream I know, but as a long-standing member of the Royal Naval Reserve, that is exactly what I have done, and for the last 16 years I have enjoyed every minute of it.

My time in the RNR has seen me learn a whole range of new and transferable skills including leadership, management, first aid, fire fighting plus more specific naval skills.

I have travelled to Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore, Portugal, Holland, France as well as throughout the UK, and been paid to do so!

I receive Royal Naval rates of pay during periods of training, which include one or two evenings a week, some weekends and a fortnight a year on continuous training. In addition I have my travelling expenses to and from training paid and get an annual tax-free gratuity of up to £1050 for satisfactorily completing my annual training commitment.

I have met literally hundreds of great people and had an exceptional social life during my time as a reservist and, throughout all this, have had the satisfaction of knowing that I was a valued member of the UK Armed Forces – need I say more?

To apply to join the RNR, contact your local Armed Forces Careers Office for an application form and further details. The RNR is currently interested in British citizens aged 16-40 (sometimes older based on experience). You will be required to meet basic fitness standards and undergo a medical check and short educational assessment.

This review was read 2022 times and was rated at

• wiggglypufff published 05/06/2004
    Sounds like a really worthwhile use of your time. Good on you! Karen x
  • jimbuck published 26/05/2001
    You didn't get a VH because I'm an old sea dog from the proper lot but because this was or should that be is a very good opinion. All together now: All the nice girls love a sailor, all the nice girls love a tar, tra la la la la la la la la la la la la la la laa.
  • Lightstars published 07/01/2001
    Dear sef, if I was english, I would now be really interested from your description. Good opinion, sir.

Product Information : Royal Naval Reserve