Ruff Guide To Genre Terrorism, The - Sonic Boom Six

Ruff Guide To Genre Terrorism, The - Sonic Boom Six

1 CD(s) - Oi - Label: Deck Cheese - Distributor: Plastic Head; Cadiz/Universal Music - Released: 13/08/2007 - 5050693134624

Review of "Ruff Guide To Genre Terrorism, The - Sonic Boom Six"

published 08/05/2007 | loserkid
Member since : 15/02/2007
Pro a cross over of genres - appeals to lots of people, not one bad track, fairly inexpensive
Cons quite hard to get hold of (i found)
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

""I came here to make the crowd go.....BOOM!""

After seeing Sonic Boom Six at Reading Festival 2006, I have to say they are one of the most exciting and exhillerating bands I have ever seen, and as such, as soon as I had the money I knew I had to get their album.

The Ruff Guide To Genre Terrorism is one of those albums that will make you want to dance. The album is the first major release from the band, and all the songs are a cross of genres, including ska, punk rock, reggea and hip-hop. The band, who are from Manchester have obviously grown up with these influences and it is very noticeable within their music.

The songs that stand out (for me) are "All In" (the single), "Piggy In The Middle" and "Bigger Than Punk Rock". These songs seem to be the most popular, and range from a chilled out reggea/hip-hop song(All In), to quite a hard punk-rock song (Bigger Than Punk Rock).

Other notable songs are "Northern Skies" - a much slower song, that the listeners can just sit back and relax to - and "Don't Say I Never Warned Ya" - an upbeat hip-hop style song telling listeners they should live life how they want to live it, not how other people might want them to live it.

Overall, I think if you are a fan of ska/punk rock/hip-hop or a cross over of these genres then this album is definately worth a purchase, and I also strongly reccommend if you get an opportunity to go see them live, then do it. The style of music is veyr original, and in my opinion, I don't think this album has a track I would say I dislike, and all the tracks make me want to get up and dance! The only possible downer is the lack of band photos in the inlay, but thats a personal opinion, and the artwork is still very very good.

I would give this album 8/10, and I can't wait for future releases.

• RazzaLazza published 15/04/2008
    Another good album. Have you heard the latest; 'Arcade Perfect'?
  • Bens__mummy published 08/05/2007
    Good review but could do with some more info to gain higher ratings. Take a look at other reviews to get an idea of the level of info that is needed to gain higher ratings. x