Ruislip in General

Ruislip in General

Review of "Ruislip in General"

published 07/01/2012 | costas1234
Member since : 27/01/2004
Pro Good transport links, good range of facilities, the area is generally well maintained
Cons not suited for people that want a busier and bustling atmosphere
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife

"Ruislip in General"

Introduction

I wanted to write a review about my home town of Ruislip. This area is located in the borough of Hillingdon and is also located quite near main shopping centres of Uxbridge. The area has good transport links as it takes 10 minutes to get to Uxbridge and is around 30-40 minutes to get to Baker Street in London. The Ruislip underground station has the Picadilly and Metropolitan line services. This helps the residents and commuters get in and around London very well indeed. Also an important point to mention is that Ruislip is 15-20 minutes drive to London Heathrow airport.

Ruislip is within the London borough of HIllingdon and from what I have seen of neighbouring towns in my opinion I feel is amongst the best towns to live in. I have walked around Ickenham and South Harrow and I feel that Ruislip looks better and has more to offer than other nearby towns. In my opinion the town of Ruislip is an excellent and relatively quiet place to stay and visit. Ruislip does indeed have quite a comprehensive range of faciltiies in the area which include shopping at Ruislip high street, the Ruislip lido where there is a man made reservoir and home also the Carvery, there is a Premier Inn hotel and the Plough and Orchard pubs. In terms of dining there are a good number of restaurants, some of which I have previously reviewed. Also there is a leisure center in Ruislip/Eastcote village which has a gym, and swimming pool. For those people wanting to play a round of golf there is a golf course which I feel is quite good though not that impressive in West Ruislip. In West Ruislip this area also is close to Ruislip high street and Ickenham, and also has national rail overground trains, and is connected on the Central line. In terms of the level of shops on Ruislip high street I have to say that there is a good range of shops but there is no indoor shopping center that you would find in Uxbridge. South Ruislip does have quite a big retail park with leading stores such as Wickes, Comet, Currys, Brantano, Homebase and Argos. Ruislip Manor by comparison has smaller shops and cafes and there is a Wetherspoons pub right opposite Ruislip Manor underground station.

Demographics

During the day Ruislip high street seems quiet due to the fact that many people are at work. So in the high street you would see many retired people, or people on their breaks from work.

Street design and suitabliity for elderly people

Not so long ago, Ruislip high street had its pavement widened and improved. It also has good bus routes and is quite a busy throughput road. Being a quite town it is accessible it is a typical high street layout with shops on each side of the road. The road itself is quite long and strethes for approximately 1 mile. There are a few zebra crossings at different stage of the road. I would say that there is not much choice for crossing the road which can be seen as a bit of disadvantage. The ambiance and atmosphere is generally quiet, but it does get busy during the weekends. Generally during the evenings it is quiet, because there are only a few pubs in the high street e.g Sweeneys, the Laurels. The Harvester is a place that gets busy, and there is also a Cafe Rouge. Overall, the street design is good, the surfaces are level, and their are quite a few benches to sit on.

HighGrove Leisure Center

As a resident of Hillingdon I joined the gym and paid around £10 as an induction fee, and am able to use the gym as a casual member for just £2.60. The range of exercise machines and facilities at the gym are excellent. There is also a large swimming pool in Highgrove and I think that this makes this center good value in terms of leisure activities.

Ruislip Lido

People visiting Ruislip and of course the residents will find the Ruislip Lido at Breakspeare Road near the BP petrol station and there is a turning which leads to the Lido. Here people can see the ducks in the man made lake, and there is a good walking area around the Lido which makes a visit here very worthwhile. Also in the Lido area is a carvery chain that provide diners with the choice of having a carvery meal costing just £3.50. I have used the Carvery many times myself along with my parents and this to me adds value to the area and makes dining, convenient and value orientated. Families can follow some different leisure activities at different times of the year. The facilities in the area enable different age groups to pursue leisure activities throughout the year, from going to the swimming pool, the gym, visiting the Lido, walks in the parks and woods, or attending the various craft markets at the Manor barn.

Transport Links

I think that the transport links in Ruislip are very good because it is easy to travel to different parts of London and it also is close to Uxbridge. There are buses that connect other neighbouring areas and there are buses that would take you to other towns such as Northwood, Northolt, Harrow, Ealing, Watford and many more.

Ruislip Golf Course

I think that Ruislip golf course for golfers is reasonable quality without being an exceptional place. The good thing for golfers is that there is a driving range which is excellent as people wanting to practice their shots can do so quite cheaply and do so at their leisure. The golf course itself is not fascinating and a bit average to be honest as I found the grounds one time a bit muddy and the course to be not very exciting.

Other things to do

These would include walk around the parks and woods. There is also the Queensmead sports center and also for sporting activities include an outdoor 5 a side football venue. I have played at Goals in Ruislip many times over the past year and think highly of this artificial surface. It is enjoyable and would suit kids and people interested in playing football. Importantly, it is worth mentioning the Duck Pond market and the Barn which is held at the Manor Farm barn, which is located to the north end of the high street. The Duck pond market holds a market area where there are craft fair sellers, a library, some workshops and a tea shop. There is also a park behind St Martins church which would be useful for families as there is a play area and some free public tennins courts and a good pathway.

My Opinion of living in Ruislip

Having lived in South Harrow for 20 years, and Ruislip and Eastcote for 13 years by comparison Ruislip is a more pleasant and nicer area to live in. There is more to do in Ruislip, and on the whole there is less traffic compared to other parts of London. I certainly like the facilities of the gym, the shopping, the libraries and coffee shops in my area. Things I do not like are perhaps the busier high roads although Ruislip I have noted for being clean and tidy. I have found this a safe and perhaps too peaceful place to live in. When I say it is too peaceful, it is perhaps not the most liveliest place to be in. Also the advantages of Ruislip are that people can get in and around London as well as visiting parts of the countryside such as Harefield or Amersham, Rickmansworth by bus or by driving. Ruislip is also close to the M25 which makes easy access to different parts of the country. It is of course close to Heathrow. I think that Ruislip has got a decent range of shops, but this is not a great range. It has 2 coffee shops and most of the shopping that I need to buy. I do have to go further afield to Uxbridge or other parts of London depending on what I want to buy.

Shopping

I would say that shopping in Ruislip is good but generally is not as comprehensive as Watford or Uxbridge. Ruislip high street has some leading coffee, restaurants and mobile phone shops as well as Waitrose and Sainsburys supermarkets. For convenient food shopping there are Tesco Express stores and good bakery and butcher shops as well. There are Post offices in Ruislip and Ruislip Manor. Uxbridge and Watford are metropolitan centres whereas Ruislip is a town.

Pros

• Close to Heathrow airport and good transport links
  • Family friendly, provides things to do
  • Good facilities and good value gym and leisure activities
Cons

• Might not be so convenient for people looking for shopping and night life
  • I would say that some parts of Ruislip are not as nice for example South Ruislip and parts of Ruislip Manor. The rest of West, North and the main area of Ruislip is very good indeed.

Conclusion

I think that Ruislip whilst not being a premier shopping location nor known for being vibrant in terms of nightlife, despite this, I feel that this is an excellent place to live in. There are shops on both sides of Ruislip high street to browse and buy from and has 2 leading coffee shops and plenty to see and do. I would strongly recommend Ruislip as a residential location and a place to visit. In terms of its surroundings it offers nice walks, good views of the place and is a place that I strongly recommend. The place has good transport links and is well worth visiting. The range of shops in Ruislip high street may not be so wideranging but still offers plenty.

• RICHADA published 06/07/2012
    You rather effectively put Ruislip on the map here, not a place that I would particularly have thought of visiting, this review is however an excellent resource for anyone looking to set up home in the area. R.
  • Novabug published 25/01/2012
    Peaceful? Maybe compared to awful South Harrow, but Ruislip can get a little rowdy from time to time. It's ok, but no Rickmansworth. And some of the 'orrible teens that frequent the Lido are nutters. I know dude, I drive the H13. Nice write up though of a place I know very well. :D
  • costas1234 published 21/01/2012