Review of "Rush (DVD)"

published 18/10/2015 | IzzyS
Member since : 27/07/2006
Thanks for all the rates through the years. Its the end of an era - im thankful to all who talked to me. Apologies for the mass postings but I have a ton of film reviews in drafts! ill try to re-rate as many ppl as I can.
Pro Gripping/engrossing, cast, thought provoking,
Cons None really
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A thrilling, fast paced Formula-1 based film"

- Story -

Rush depicts the rivalry between the Formula 1 racing drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda in the mid 1970s, when they raced against one another for the title of world champion.

- More Info., Thoughts & Opinions -

This is a very fast paced, edge of your seat thriller. There are plenty of formula 1 races reconstructed and some pretty impressive camera angles used to really give you a feel for the power/speed and quick reactions the drivers had. Its quite a gripping watch.

I felt that the characters were well portrayed - their passion for the sport being clear and their rivalry being very clear to see. Of course this film is set in a time (the 1970s) when safety was a big issue and the stakes were particularly high. The characters vulnerabilities are clearly highlighted and indeed an element of comeraderie is shown. Its clearly somewhat of a cut-throat industry to be in but it was heartening to see how things played out, who defended who when the press pushed things a little distastefully (to put it one way).

I wouldn't say I'm a particularly big fan of formula 1 specifically but I did find this to be really quite an engrossing film. Thematically, it covers more than simply car racing and sportsmanship, with elements of companionship and morality in general. The film shows both of the main characters, Lauda and Hunt, with their respective partners, one having to initially convince her that he is indeed a world leading racing driver and the other playing up to the usual playboy stereotype, flaunting his reputation and living, as they say, 'in the fast lane'.

Of course there are sexist comments, there's very strong language and some disturbing scenes (involving facial injuries) in this film, hence its 15 rating. I felt that the cast did well - particularly noteable being Daniel Bruhl, who plays Niki Lauda, Hunt's rival, who seemed to play the Austrian racer very well in my opinion. For the record; Chris Hemsworth plays James Hunt, who comes across as (unsurprisingly) very arrogant and determined, very ego-centric but who, it turns out, may still ultimately have his heart in the right place. Stephen Mangan also makes a somewhat noteable appearance as Alistair Caldwell, the MacLaren team manager.

The film, I felt, makes you think in some regards but its by no means slow and bland - anything but! I imagine most racing fans would find this to be a must-watch but I don't think it necessarily is just for fans of racing, I think fans of action films and perhaps drama thrillers would potentially enjoy this.

I'm not sure if there's much more I can say about this film, other than that its directed by Ron Howard, who also directed The Da Vinci Code, Frost/Nixon and A Beautiful Mind, among others and also that its based on a true story, which made it all the more thrilling to watch.

- Would I Recommend It? -

Yes, I'd be happy to recommend this film. Its fast paced and thrilling and quite entertaining, if not engrossing, for the most part and I found it to be somewhat thought provoking. I also felt the cast were particularly good and on that basis I'd recommend it.

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you found it useful and thanks, as ever, for any and all rates and comments.

• justarube published 01/10/2016
    VH
  • rolandrat123 published 11/02/2016
    good
  • GeorgieH1994 published 02/02/2016
    Nice review :)