debbie_ma... 4

debbie_marway

Member since:09.10.2002

Juice Lady - a healthy option

09.04.2004

Advantages:
getting your five portions in one hit

Disadvantages:
a bit messy

Performance

3. MAFARRIMOND
  1. shinyshinyshiny
  2. dmwilson
  3. Bollinger28

I am a bit of a gadget holic. I am the type of person who will go to the Ideal Home exhibition only to return with bagfuls of items I havenít a clue how to use, but when I saw them demonstrated, I knew I couldnít live a moment longer without them.
So when the trend of Juicers came into being, yes I had to have one.
My husband groaned that I had wasted more money and that the latest must have would be in the back of the cupboard within two weeks.
Well that was Christmas, we are now into April and itís still on top of my kitchen unit and still in full use. I have proved him wrong.
The bread maker might have found a home in the back of the cupboard, but my Juice Lady is in regular use.
I have juiced everything in sight, apart from the husband.
Celery, tomatoes, grapes, carrots, strawberries, cucumber, parsnips and yes I have juiced them altogether.
There is no hard and fast rules as to what you can juice. Celery, apple, grapes and cucumber might look disgusting when it comes out but it tastes delicious. Strawberries, melon and watercress are another combination and think of all those vitamins you are getting.
However, one word of warning. Most fruit and veg doesnít need much preparation. Itís just a case of chopping them into good-sized chunks for the shoot and of course washing the skin. Oranges though do not juice at all well unless peeled.
I bought an expensive packet of well-known oranges. Couldnít wait to get home and juice them up.
I thought I could just put them in the shoot and the peel would be separated and the juice would be free flowing. Yeah right, I was wrong, big time.
When I tasted the juice, which I was so looking forward to, I spat it out as quickly as I juiced it. All I could taste was the peel and it was disgusting. I had just juiced a dozen of Delmonteís best and the whole lot was ruined.
The juicer is quite easy to operate but has lots of bits and pieces that have to interlock. Washing it out isnít too bad as long as long as you have a dishwasher. The sieve section gets clogged up with pith and is hard to clean. Its just a case of switching it on, pushing the fruit or veg in the shoot and making sure you have something to catch the juice in, you have it, voila. The juice lady does come with a plastic jug to catch the pith, skin etc but nothing for the juice spout. For the price I think they should provide 2 jugs.
On the plus side, itís good for you and worth the money. It doesnít take up too much room and isnít too loud to use.
You will notice your food bill going up slightly as you start buying every piece of fruit and veg in sight, just to juice it.
The juice looks a bit murky especially as it separates quite quickly. My children will not touch or drink the cucumber mixture. I admit, it does looks vile. They do not see past the look of the drink.
I bet if it came inside a 7 UP can children would lap it up.
Just a shame you canít juice chocolate cake and custard, removing all the calories in the process. Now that would be a great gadget!

MAFARRIMOND 01.07.2004 10:32

I had one of these for christmas last year - I used it regularly for a while. Now it is in the cupboard. Maureen

fuzzibear 03.05.2004 16:08

Will look into this, wanted a juicer for a while now..

offy 12.04.2004 01:56

My other half is getting a juicer for his birthday, so I will end up having to clean it I guess!