trayrope 5

trayrope

About me: Just found the "My Ciao" drop down menu at the top of the page...

Member since:30.03.2010

Setting the standard, Russian Standard Vodka.

06.11.2012

Advantages:
Smooth, strong, mixes well .

Disadvantages:
Hangovers, drunkenness .

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. danielclark691
  2. sweetybi
  3. 80smusicreviewer

When I wrote this I was sitting at my desk sipping a small glass of Russian Standard Original vodka. I poured myself a shot for the purposes of reviewing, please remember this was wrote on a Monday night, if it was Friday or Saturday my intentions may not have been so good.

Russian Standard Original is advertised as setting the benchmark for authentic premium vodka. The vodka is made using only the finest ingredients, winter wheat grains from the Southern Russian Steps and water from the underground glacial source of Lake Lagonda. The raw ingredients are then put through a four stage process of mashing and fermenting, distillation and rectification, filtration and relaxation and finally bottling and packaging.

Russian Standard Original is filtered through charcoal four times to produce its clear look and pure taste.

I am not usually a person who is sold on the packaging but Russian Standard has really made an effort with the bottle. The bottle shape is inspired by Ivan, the Great Bell Tower in the heart of Moscow. The labelling is understated but striking, and all the more eye catching as it has Russian Standard written on it in Russian.

Russian Standard has a really informative website where you can find many more facts about the heritage and production process involved in creating Russian Standard Original Vodka.

Interesting fact for you . . . Vodka means little water.

Many people store vodka in the freezer, myself included, despite the recommendations that it should be served chilled between 5-7c. So for this review I have allowed the shot on my desk to warm up a bit before I started sipping.

The vodka in my glass is crystal clear, clearer than the glass itself. When I swirl the glass a bit the vodka clings to the side of the glass slightly. When I give the vodka a sniff I can just smell alcohol, it has no other aroma. Now to taste, remember this is for review purposes only. . .

. . . It is strong, before the liquid touches my lips I can virtually see tendrils of the aroma curling there way across the glass and filling my nostrils with the strong, rich smell of vodka. In my mouth the vodka seems to reach every part before I can swallow it, it is strong . . . it creates a tingle on my tongue and a burn as it goes down my throat, I think I can taste aniseed, as the tingle recedes from my tongue the burn in my throat becomes a warm glow, it is a pleasant feeling after the mouth scorching and nostril invasion. The taste and warmth from the vodka are gone within minutes, leaving me ready for another small sip, which wont be happening as I dont want the husband to come back from the gym and think I have been on the vodka all night.

When I drink vodka I like to drink it with a mixer such as lemonade or cola, it can also be drunk with orange juice or cranberry juice or as the building block of a good cocktail. I personally do not use this vodka with a mixer, I usually use Smirnoff. The taste of the vodka on its own is distinctive and rich and should be savoured.

I would not recommend this vodka to someone who wants to knock back a couple of high percentage drinks to get drunk fast as I feel it should be enjoyed. Yes it will get you drunk very very fast, but believe me that should not be the point of having a drink. I do however recommend it to someone who has an appreciation of vodka.

A 70cl bottle of Russian Standard will cost you around 15 in the supermarkets, but may be on offer soon due to the festive season approaching. The alcohol by volume is 40%.

www.russianstandardvodka.com

Thank you for reading. Hic!

Pictures of Russian Standard Original Vodka
Russian Standard Original Vodka 100_2541 - Russian Standard Original Vodka
Russian Standard Original Vodka

« Previous review

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this reviews content

torr 07.11.2012 13:19

That was meant to be Cheers in Russian, but somehow I think it didn't quite take!

torr 07.11.2012 13:18