SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16v

SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16v

SEAT present the Ibiza 1.4 16v Reference 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16v"

published 26/04/2006 | clarius
Member since : 26/04/2006
Satisfactory
Pro A good looking hatchback with trusty handling
Cons Poor build quality
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"1998 Seat Ibiza"

I bought my Seat three years ago from a seat dealership. It was secondhand, with ultra low mileage(19,000miles on a 5 year old car. 1 previous owner). In my opinion, Seats look better than most small cars. There's no boxy look or feel to them, and the inside, although not lush, is comfortable and has a decent feel for quality. For a town car, the Seat teams its good looks with a comfortable drive. It handles well in difficult weather conditions and the seating is comfortable.

This is where the praise seems to end. On motorways it takes time to pick up speed, but cruises at a resonable speed- note the word reasonable, this car is certainly not for speed demons. It feels slower than my two previous cars, which were both a 1.0 engine. My foot is constantly pressed hard down and it really seems to struggle, often with much noise and some rattling sounds from the interior. This can make long drives quite tiring.

My car still only has 40,000miles on the clock, but already I've had a costly breakdown (water pump). The bonnet won't open and this needs to be repaired. My door sometimes will not open from inside, meaning I have to climb over the passenger seat to get out (embarassing on summer days when wearing a skirt!). The exhaust is falling off due to erosion and an interior fan is broken. The passenger also feels no warm air on their feet. The remote locking key has broken twice and is now redundant.

There is a strange residue that builds up constantly on the back of the car, which results in a black mess on the paintwork (removable, but a a pain). I've seen this on other Seats and have been advised that it is a problem with some models, and requires and exhaust extension.

The clutch is harder to get used to than any car I've owned or hired, and meant some stalling at first (I've never had this even with hire cars). The power steering feels heavy at times.

Services at the dealers have been quite costly, and the two year's breakdown cover I was supposed to recieve was not logged in properly, which caused problems when I broke down and they refused to come and get me. It took many phone calls to recieve an apology and an explanation. Luckily I broke down near home or I would have been stranded.

Saying that, she's quite pretty and she got me to Spain, so I have some fond memories, but I personally would not consider purchasing another Seat after the problems I've encountered.

• MAFARRIMOND published 27/04/2006
    A good first review. Welcome to Ciao. Maureen
  • catrinaf published 26/04/2006
    Hi and welcome to Ciao – A good first review although more info would have been useful. If you want any help or want me to re rate, leave me a message in my guestbook - Cat x x
  • Smiley_Scarly published 26/04/2006
    Hi and welcome to ciao. Good review, would have been 'very helpful' if it had a little more info, but great considering it's your 1st. Scarlett x