SVP Communications

SVP Communications

Computers & Electronics

Review of "SVP Communications"

published 01/08/2005 | utero
Member since : 11/07/2000
Giving opinions for several years and showing like a fine vintage
Pro Good prices, great service
Cons No free shipping

"Drawn For Blanks"

I recently brought a new PC so I could have a bit more bite in the power department. This came with a cd-writer, to upgrade to a dvd-writer would cost over £60 more. Now I wanted a dvd-writer for bigger storage and multi-media work but I wasn't going to pay over the odds for it!

I'd used SVP a couple of times in the past for jiffy bags and blank cd's. The service I received was good on both occasions and the prices were very keen. Being a member of thedvdforums.com I'd kept tabs on what was going on with writers. As with all technology it starts off high in price but comes down once established in the market. SVP posted on the forums that they had a new LG Electronics drive that done it all including DVD-Ram. The cost to us lucky punters was under £30, now to me this was the green light to go ahead and buy. I went for the drive but paid a couple of quid more for a black facia to match my PC. I also chucked in 50 discs, some batteries and a copy of Nero Burning Rom. This all came to just over £50 notes all in. Now I was very happy with the price. I'd subscribed to the e-mail newsletter and received a discount voucher for shipping that I used on the order.

This was all placed on the Sunday, come Wednesday my goods had arrived on the doorstep. It was all packaged in a sturdy box with a load of bubble wrap etc. Everything was undamaged as a result. My only gripe was that the drive didn't come with any screws. But I was aware of this as it said so on the site. The only thing was that I had to wait another day before I could install it as I went on hands and knees to a local computer shop to blag some screws. I couldn't see anywhere on the site where you could add some screws to the order. So if in doubt it's best to check first.

The site itself has improved in recent months. In it's earlier form it was pretty basic and didn't look that slick. But SVP have given the it a bit of a polish and I have to say it's all looking more polished with loads of useful product information. The prices are still pretty good as well. I would definitely recommend them if you're looking for any dvd/cd media, cases, batteries etc. Keep an eye out for their shipping offers that come around quite often, as this is the best time to buy.

I'm sorry this opinion may not seem very long but it's a sign of a good reputable company when you can't really find anything bad to write about!

This review was read 2025 times and was rated at

• nigeofnewbury published 01/08/2005
    I've seen their site - it's good to have it endorsed though - great review.
  • MAFARRIMOND published 01/08/2005