Sa Caleta Playa, Minorca

Sa Caleta Playa, Minorca

Hotel - Signe de's Lleo 2, Ciudadela, 7760 Minorca

Review of "Sa Caleta Playa, Minorca"

published 16/07/2007 | francesca.sd
Cleanliness

"Sa Caleta Playa resort"

sacletaplaya

sacletaplaya

Okay so this is infact my third attempt at writing this review because ciao keeps deleting it!

Anyway…

Menorca/Minorca♥
I thought that, in order to talk about the resort, Sa Caleta Playa I would need to just brief you on the island. Minorca is a small island and it’s one of the Balearics. Its neighbour is Majorca but it is nothing like Majorca. You can drive around Minorca in a day because it is so small. Minorca still has its traditional features and it nowhere near as ‘touristy’ as Ibiza of Majorca.

Sa Caleta Playa Background info♥
Sa Caleta Playa is located in the town of Sa Caleta. This is a very small town about a 40 mins drive from the island’s capital- Cuidadella. Sa Caleta Playa is a First choice travel; agent resort. It is fairly small and right next to the beach. The apartments are pretty much in a row and in front of the row of apartments are all the facilities- swimming pool, bar, etc.

Sa Caleta Playa- the accommodation
Sa Caleta Playa apartments are tiny compared to other resorts I had been to. And that’s what it is- a resort, it is not simply standalone apartments. It has all the features of a hotel- e.g. reception, bar etc. But it is just apartments instead of rooms. There are 107 apartments in block of three. As they are in blocks of three, there is a ground apartment, a first floor apartment and a second floor one. The first and second floor apartments have a balcony and the ground floor accommodation has a terrace garden.

I stayed on the first floor and had a balcony which was great because it overlooked the pool and you could also see the beach from it. Also there was a table and chairs on the balcony so that my family (4 of us) could easily fit onto the balcony. Also there were cltohes drying facilities on the balcony in the form of a metal clothes rack thing. Another plus point was that my mum could see my brother from the balcony when he was in the pool. I did like my balcony and if you are a quietish person who goes to bed quite early, I would suggest you push to get a room with a balcony, because although the terrace in nicer because it had plants and flowers etc. If you have a terrace and you are one which hits the pillow before midnight, you may find that people walk right past your ground floor apartment and make some noise.

The apartment itself was lovely. It wasn’t luxury but it was good. The one I stayed in had just one bedroom. The bedroom had a double bed, large wardrobe, safe, bed side table with lamp, a mirror and lots and lots of drawers so there was plenty of storage space without it being too crowded. The bathroom was of a decent size with a powerful shower, toilet and basin and was clean. The kitchen was tiny. It barely resembled a room at all. It was more like a dent in the wall. It had an oven, kettle, fridge and sink and a work top but you could barely fit two people in it. It wasn’t a problem for us though because we felt it was big enough to make breakfast and lunch every day. I slept in the front room on one of two pullout beds and these were actually extremely comfortable. The apartment was always clean and although not elaborately decorated, it was attractive enough. It was also very safe, with a good lock on the door.

The apartment I stayed in was probably the smallest out of the range but obviously the resort can offer a range of different sizes and styles to suit a range of different families.

The facilities♥
I was extremely impressed with what this resort had to offer. I think that this resort really has been designed for families but I feel that even if you are not a family you will still love it. At Sa caleta playa there are kids clubs for a range of ages. As soon as we arrived at the resort my brother was asked if he wanted to see what the kids club is like. He went along and liked it but I think he was a bit old for it really and there are activities during the day which are not planned by the kids club. However if you have small children they do a kind of crèche when the English staff can look after your child. This service is free. The staff are lovely.

The resort has a range of things the kids can do during the day if they want and everything they offer is free. My brother did just about everything. He played water polo everyday, shooting, football, archery, bingo, volleyball etc. He really enjoyed it and the kid’s entertainer was called Alberto and if you read any review you will hear about how great he is. He speaks perfect English and just entertains the kids for hours. He’s great.

Alberto puts on entertainment every evening also. The entertainment in the evening is suitable for both adults and children and it really is very funny and basically it just involves audience participation and games. It really is a laugh. My mum loved it. There was a parrot show, a dance show, a “pop idol” evening, karaoke, disco and quiz nights. There was a large variety and the resort is so small that you could watch the entertainment from your balcony/terrace or from the outdoor restaurant or from the bar.

The resort has three pools. One is a good size and it’s very attractive and clean. It has a shallow end for children. The second pool is basically just a pool which the slide falls into. This slide is very fun and you can go fast. It’s just an open kind of flume and is about 30 metres long. Nothing special but it does go fast and it’s good fun. The third pool is mainly used for water polo games throughout the game which are always a laugh. But if a water polo game isn’t on, people usually use this pool to swim lengths in because the main pool isn’t rectangle shaped and this one is. All three pools were warm and clean and did not contain too much chlorine.

I found that it was hard to get a sun bed at the pool and people were being crazy and putting towels on the sun bed at like 5AM so they could get a seat.
The resort is pretty much on the beach. It took me about 1 minute to walk from my resort to the beach. The beach itself is small and clean. There are larger beaches near the resort and the Sa Caleta Playa beach is just a normal quiet beach with no rides or attractions or anything.

The resort has two table tennis tables which were 1 euro 50 cents a go and you could play them for however long you like. There was also a pool table. Also there was a safe children’s playground which is good for kids.

There is internet access at the resort but I didn’t use it. Also the reception staff are very helpful and there is a really good thing that the first choice reps run at the resort where they basically have a book/magazine swap shop. It’s next to the reception and you simply go there, put your book on the pile and take one you fancy. I found this handy because I ha read my book the first day and wanted something else to read.

The resort has a small shop which I found that contained some items which were quite expensive. However, about a 45 minute walk away is a large supermarket. We walked there thinking we would just get a few things and rely on the shop for our breakfast and occasional lunch stock but when we got there we were overcome with the cheapness and value that we bought so much food and needed a taxi to get back. We spent just 60 euros but bought so much food. We bought food, snorkeling gear, alcohol etc. My aunty got some wine in a carton for 37 cents which I didn’t think tasted that bad but she didn’t like it much but drank it anyway. It was called Penasol (pronounced penisole) (!) We had a laugh about that. We had bought so much food with this 60 euro that we had to give some food and alcohol away to a family because we simply had too much left! I loved that supermarket!

Catering♥
There is a restaurant and bar at the resort. The restaurant is called “the lord nelson” which I think sounds like a pub. It’s not a pub, it’s a brilliant restaurant. I never ate inside the restaurant- always outside in front of the stage. I always had Fungi pizza. My brother had a kid’s meal that came with baked beans and they were burnt and tasted like ash. Avoid the baked beans! My mum and aunty had steak and they loved it. I always had the pizza because it was delicious. I have tasted pizza in Italy and this pizza was BETTER! The staff were very nice and brought fresh bread round which was yummy. The restaurant was quite expensive actually, but Minorca has the characteristic of being expensive in terms of eating out. We went to the resort restaurant about 3 times during our week’s stay. Wish we could have gone more often. I think that you have to be careful of what you have at the restaurant because it is very traditional. It serves mostly minorcan authentic and traditional food. The Minorcan food is pretty much Mediterranean style. If you got to the lord nelson and don’t like what you have, try something else and you are guaranteed to love it.

The bar is cheap enough, selling a range of different drinks. It doesn’t take an age to order a drink because there is hardly ever a queue because the service is sharp and quick. They sell English Alco pops, cocktails, wine, spirits and soft drinks. However it is cheaper, if you are on a budget to get your drinks from a supermarket. A small bottle of beer (kronnenburg) is about 30 cents in the local supermarket.
There are restaurants out of the resort which aren’t too far away to walk to. There is a very small complex about a fifteen minute walk away from the resort. It has a car rental place, a gift shop and two or three restaurants. I didn’t go to these restaurants but they looked very nice and very always busy and my friend went and said it was nice. I went to the most amazing restaurants though.

I went to a pirate/sailing theme restaurant (sounds cheap and corny but it wasn’t) it was about a 25 minute walk from the resort. It was, again, quite expensive but delicious! There was no one in there and the staff were just really nice to us. Also there is a really popular restaurant about a 20 minute walk away. It’s a small restaurant/bar which has a platform on the sea. You can sit basically in the sea as you eat and you can even see fish in the water from your table. The restaurant was open air so it was lovely. It was also the cheapest restaurant we went to but did more snacky things like pizza and burgers and salads. It was delicious and there was a little boy diving which was entertaining.

The Staff♥
The staff were very helpful and I was extremely please with the serviced we received. Everyone spoke English and the first choice staff were obviously English and I like minorcan people, but sometimes on holiday, I like to see that someone from where I live is also in control. It felt very safe.

The staff really tried hard to ensure that everyone was happy and Alberto was loved by all the kids (and the ladies!) so it was great.

Is this resort for me?♥
As I mentioned previously, it is designed for families because it is just so child friendly, but I would gladly go there again with my boyfriend on our own. The atmosphere is just so wonderful that I’m sure anyone would enjoy their stay. I would say that this resort, although not luxury, it’s not exactly a basic place in terms of facilities so it’s not a really cheap place to stay but it won’t cost the earth either. The best thing to do is to look at first choice and book it with them because they will offer you a comfortable first choice flight, coach trip to the apartments from the airport and it is actually their hotel.

The only thing I would say which is perhaps negative is the location. You have to walk a way to get somewhere and even then there's not much. The town of Sa Caleta is definitely a quiet and simple place so if you're looking for something more varied and lively I suggest Cala'n Bosch or the capital Cuidadella.

Overall, a safe, wonderful and fun place to be.

Thank you for reading.