Sainsbury's Basics Chicken Noodles

Sainsbury's Basics Chicken Noodles

Review of "Sainsbury's Basics Chicken Noodles"

published 08/05/2010 | stephbond89
Member since : 30/05/2009
Pro Amazing price!!! Perfect for students or people to have in for snacks!!
Cons A little bland without extra seasoning.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"9p noodles!!!!!"

Introduction

I am 21 weeks pregnant and find it difficult to find foods which I can eat without wanting to be sick, so when I saw these when I was doing my last online shop, at just 9p per packet, I decided to pop a couple in the online basket and try them.

My mum used to get these in when I was in school as I tended to come home after been out with friends and want a snack, and these were perfect as they were cheap and simple, but I had forgotten how they were nearly 10 years ago!

When they came, I decided to make myself a packet for an evening snack...and this is how I found them...

How to make them

You can cook these either on the hob or in the microwave, I used the hob, but the microwave instructions are very simple and outlined on the packet! I think most people will use the hob though so instead of going into detailed instructions, you simply boil water, open the packet- where inside you will see a packet of seasoning, put this in the water- I add extra salt or a stock cube as the taste is a little bland without, and simmer until noodles are soft enough to eat. It takes around 3 minutes to cook which is great if your after a quick snack!

So they are definitely easy to cook!

Taste test!

As I just mentioned the noodles are a little bland on their own if you don't add extra salt to the noodles when cooking, but bareable, and with a pinch of salt to the pan, it does make a lot of difference.

One pack of noodles is enough if you are having as part of a small meal or as a snack, but I usually have two packs together if I am substituting a meal with them (which I tend to do with been pregnant and sick!).

They do have a little chicken-ey taste to them, though not particularly strong- if you want a stronger chicken taste add a chicken stock cube to the pan when cooking instead of salt! There are no "bits" in the noodles, apart from tiny bits of what I think are carrots, but they're too tiny to tell!

All in all, for 9p, I am not going to complain that there is not big pieces of chicken in the noodles or big bits of vegetables! They taste pretty good for 9p and 3 minutes in a pan, and make a difference to the plain noodles I used to eat as a snack!!

Well for 9p per pack, they are brilliant value for money!!! They must be making no profit on these things!!! But they're brilliant for the price, and perfect for students!!! At 9p a pack, they could get 30 packs (1 for every day of the week) and it would only cost £2.70!!! So it means even if they are completely skint, and cannot afford real food, they are still eating something!!!!

Nutrition

This is where the downside comes to the noodles!!! Half a pack is 209g, which I actually think is a lot for a tiny pack of noodles, but what confuses me is that on the Sainsbury's website that 100g of noodles is just over 150kcal, these are 65g per pack...so I cannot really understand it!!!!

Salt is quite high at 1.33g per half pack!!!! Especially as they do need extra salt to give them a bit of extra taste...so not one for the kids!!!

There is 7g of fat per half pack too, which is pretty high!!!

All in all

These noodles are 9p each and really are quite great to keep in the cupboard!!! Perfect for students or even people on low incomes! Fantastic for a quick snack or even an accompanyment to a meal!

I will continue to buy these to keep in the cupboard to give me energy when I cannot stomach any "real" food!!! They are good for calories if you are maybe not eating much due to been ill or like me and pregnant and unable to stomach much else!!

Not the best instant noodles in the world, but for 9p per pack, I think they're pretty perfect!!!

• Andyoz published 08/05/2010
    9p! What a bargain!
  • dynamicnurse published 08/05/2010
    It makes you wonder if they can make money on it, or whether everything is really only worth this much!
  • lorriellah published 08/05/2010