dabmim 3

dabmim

Member since:22.10.2000

ITS MY MILK

17.04.2002

Advantages:
see review

Disadvantages:
see review

Product Quality

Taste

SmellOkay

Packaging

13 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. camille
  2. Elainebaba
  3. rakhan
  1. Mel27

I admit it; I love a milkshake occasionally (even better the thick shakes you can get), however due to their usual high sugar and fairly high fat content I never have them these days.

Then shopping at my favourite supermarket (Sainsburys) the other day, I glanced on the milk shelf, rather than hurry by snatching a bottle of milk as I go. And there it was…a small clear bottle with a green label on. (The green label indicating it was of their ‘Be Good to Yourself’ range)

Staring in disbelief at the claim of LESS than 1% fat on the label, I began to read the back:

· Calories 46
· Protein 5.3g
· Carbohydrates 5.9g
· Sugars 5.8g
· Fat 0.1g yes that was 0.1 g
· Fibre 0.4g
· Sodium 0.1g

So despite it being slightly high on the sugar content it is by far the best milkshake I have had (nutrition wise). It is mainly sweetened with artificial sweetener. Glancing over at the ingredients I spied:

· Skimmed milk
· Flavouring
· Artificial sweetener
· Aspartame
· Acesulfame K

So with all that out of the way tell us more about it.

I was expecting the shake to be thin and runny, after all it is made with skimmed milk. (And skimmed milk to me is like drinking water!) However, the shake was fairly thick especially for being made with water like milk. Okay it’s not as thick as normal milkshakes, but we are talking healthy option here and it's certainly not thin.

So now we know it’s thicker than it’s counter-part in milk, what does it taste like? Well, actually quite pleasant. It has the taste of nice vanilla ice cream, and when cool it is quite yummy as it cools your thirst.

However, it does taste on the sweet side, but as you can see from it’s ingredients – it doesn’t have any added sugar (unless the ones I don’t know-are sugar like xanthium gum maybe). Anyway where were we? Oh yes…it does in my opinion taste fairly sweet, and to this effect I could only drink half of the 500ml bottle. This however didn’t bother me, as it just lasted longer. Had my taste buds been more acceptable to sweet things (and I only eat chocolate for research purposes - honest!) the drink would of gone in one fail swoop, believe me!

The vanilla flavouring is strong enough to taste and enjoy, but not too over powering.

Sainsbury’s are available at their usual address and on the internet at sainsburys.co.uk

Overall marks: 8/10

Thanks for reading - Dave

Mel27 04.02.2005 18:54

How much was it and do you know if they still make it?

Elainebaba 22.04.2002 19:38

I love Mcdonald's milkshake! must have a go and try this one from Sainsbury. Hope it is nice as McDonald! Avril

Cowboy22 17.04.2002 23:51

My fave milkshake flavour is strawberry.