Sainsbury's Vin Blanc, Dry

Sainsbury's Vin Blanc, Dry

Region: France - Vin de Table

Review of "Sainsbury's Vin Blanc, Dry"

published 26/01/2002 | blurbubble
Member since : 14/07/2000
Pro Good value, not as dry as it sounds
Cons Quite sour for some tastes

"AND THE FORECAST IS DRY...."

Booze, booze, booze, dontcha just love it?! No? Well, I do, as a lot of you are probably aware by now – and white wine is a firm favourite.

So no surprise then that this is another opinion on another white wine – Sainsburys’ Vin Blanc de France to be precise – sounds sophisticated doesn’t it? No? Well to be fair most of these supermarket own brands of which I am so fond neither look nor sound sophisticated but once in a glass with no identifying marks they usually pass the test!

As per usual I bought this one in a 3 litre box – good value and no waste and no glass used – for £10.49, about 50p off the normal price I think. The box is pretty basic and unglamorous – just white and green with the facts stated on it but I’m not paying for the box anyway so who cares?! The advantages of buying a wine in a box being that it can remain fresh for up to six weeks as the inner foil lining stops the air from getting in and spoiling the wine – not that mine ever lasts that long!

Produced in France this is a VERY dry white wine rating number 1 on the dryness scale which span 1-9 going from driest to sweetest. To me it seemed similar to some of Tescos graded 2/3 so it wasn’t too dry for me and I normally lean towards something sweeter. The alcohol content is 11.5% volume so this is another potentially tipsy little drinky if you start knocking it back (like I do!).

This is a very crisp and sourish wine with a distinct citrus, lemony flavour to it and it has a sharp aroma too. It is very pleasant and drinkable, obviously dry but not too sour and with no nasty after-taste.

Best served chilled, like most dry white wines, it makes a perfect accompaniment to food such as salads, fish and pasta or drunk as an aperitif or solo as a party drink. So although this one is a little too dry for my normal tastes it might possibly be just the ticket with a nice meal or a zinging party!

• alflavor published 08/02/2002
    You sure do a good booze op! Cheers, Al !
  • dave27 published 29/01/2002
    I've told you once BB now get off the bottle
  • andycharger published 27/01/2002
    I went out on Friday and got so drunk, I was buyig bottles of Wine and swigging it out of the bottle! How uncivilised! Typical andycharger behaviour. My wife was non plussed!Andy