Sainsburys Basics Facial Tissues

Sainsburys Basics Facial Tissues

Tissues/Wipes

Review of "Sainsburys Basics Facial Tissues"

published 01/11/2010 | MEL0611
Member since : 24/09/2009
Mummy to be, bubba due end of March...watch out for Nappy reviews!!!!
Satisfactory
Pro Soft on skin and nose area, cheap in price
Cons Rip and tear really easily, bad quality, always grab more than one tissue

"Sainsburys Basics Tissues...or so the box says!!!!"

When it comes to my shopping trips I really like to keep an eye on what I am spending, because of this I seem to notice when products go up in price and the increase in some items from week to week is quite shocking, not just food items but cleaning products and silly things such as kitchen roll and tissues, in fact this is what leads me to my review today. I normally buy the Kleenex tissues, I don’t seem to get through them that quickly but on the last occasion that I went to buy them I noticed a sharp increase in price so I decided to buy some shops own brand tissues, I normally shop in Tesco so would have normally picked up a box of the Value ones but I happened to be in Sainsbury’s when I needed some more tissues so picked up a box of their Basics Facial Tissues.

If I had been streaming with a cold then maybe I would have thought about buying a blamed tissues but seeing as these tissues were going to be sat at home for those moments when you have the odd runny nose of sneezing fit I saw no harm in trying them out, especially as they only cost me 32 pence! I am someone who watches the pennies and as much as I would hate to lose 32p, if they were horrendous then I had not lost to much, however on the other hand ,if I liked them then I am making a great saving compared to paying out extra on the Kleenex brand.

As this is a Sainsbury’s Basics product, there is no fancy packaging, what you see is what you get, there is no printed cardboard with a pretty floral patterns or prints on, but a cardboard box which is mainly white in colour and the only other colour being orange. The box as IO mentioned is made from recyclable cardboard and it is actually quite light and flimsy, not that this is a criticism. The box is a standard size and comes with the Sainsbury’s logo at the top and the name of the product just below it. There is minimal writing and on the box and there is only a brief description of the tissues, stating that there are ‘150 tissues in the box’ and that they are 2 ply. To remove the tissues from the box is like any other, there is an oval shaped perforated cut out that you need to remove to reveal the tissues, i removed it by pressing onto it.

The first thing that I noticed about these tissues was that it was quite difficult to remove them from the box. I was tending to get a couple out in one go as opposed to just to the one. The tissues, once I had removed them were a little thinner than I would have liked. If you held them up to the light then you could see straight through them so thickness was not a strong point. The first time that I went to blow my nose with one of these tissues, the thickness really was an issue, the tissues disintegrated really quickly and there was no strength to them which left me disappointed.

As I continued to use these tissues I found myself even more disappointed with them. It was the thickness of them really that let me down and whilst I appreciate that I paid very little for the tissues I did expect something a little bit more substantial for my money. One thing that I was impressed with about these tissues was they were actually quite soft on my nose, I am not sure how you would get on if you had a cold and we consistently having to wipe your nose but on when I used the tissues on individual occasions I found that they caused no harm to my nose and the skin around it.

The tissues in summary have been a little bit of a letdown for me. Where I thought that they may be harsh on my nose, they were in fact softer than I would have expected but the thickness was an issue as they ripped really easy and could only be used the once and then thrown away, even if you just wiped a runny nose, they became limp and tore. I think I have learned with this product that sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I give these 2 out of 5

Thank you for reading.

• Coloneljohn published 14/11/2010
    I will avoid these I think. I will stick to the kleenex. John
  • rojm published 03/11/2010
    I have bought these but prefer the tesco value
  • paulpry118 published 02/11/2010
    I used to get through boxes of the Tesco value tissues when my daughter was younger, she no longer has the urge to turn the lounge into a snow scene so I've got back to balm tissues