Sainsburys Basics Milk Chocolate Bar

Sainsburys Basics Milk Chocolate Bar

Review of "Sainsburys Basics Milk Chocolate Bar"

published 19/05/2011 | pinky50
Member since : 16/11/2010
My beautiful mum passed away this year and I had lost my way and mojo writing reviews but am hoping that I can have it back soon. Having more down days recently than up but getting there slowly.
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap chocolate.
Cons Tastes bland.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Cheap chocolate."

I first bought this chocolate last year when I was a little short of money because one of my cats was ill at the time and needed treatment from the vets and so I was on a lower budget at the time, I had not tried it before and since it was so cheap I thought I would try it to see if it was a nice chocolate. I do like shops own brands, so I thought it would probably suit my taste buds and if it didn’t I had not wasted much money.

My hubby had taken my little grandson for a walk to my local Sainsbury’s and when my grandson saw this chocolate he wanted to put it into the basket. My hubby and I had tried it before and didn’t like it very much, so when my hubby tried to put the chocolate back onto the shelf, my grandson wasn’t very happy because this is the one he had his eye on lol, so he got his wishes as he is the boss lol and so my hubby bought it.

It comes in the usual colours of the Basics range of orange and white and the packet is plastic and is can easily recycled. It is very basic looking with no fancy pictures on the wrapper. For a 100g bar it costs only 31p, very cheap price in my opinion. Inside the wrapper it is there are around 15 square shaped blocks of chocolate. Each square is around an inch and so a good size if you just want to eat one square at a time. The thickness of the chocolate is quite thick too. It does have a nice texture to it and is easy to chew. My grandson liked this chocolate and he enjoyed eating it but for my hubby and I we are not so keen. It tastes a little bland in my opinion and not much taste. It kind of tastes like cooking chocolate. It does taste a little sweeter than the other flavour in this range.

It does melt in the mouth perfectly and it feels nice, smooth and soft. I found it not to be a pleasant taste and found it to be a little tasteless. I did not feel satisfied after I eat it and I did eat a couple of squares with my hubby and grandson again to see if I had a different opinion to the first time I ate it but I felt exactly the same and my opinion had not changed with this chocolate.

For 100g it contains 506 calories, 62.5g carbohydrate, 25.8g fat and I think that for all the calorie content, I would rather eat a branded one and enjoy it more.

I do think it would be probably better to use in baking or used for a chocolate fountain, as I use one of those at my parties and use cooking chocolate but this bar would suit it fine as it can be then eaten with marshmallows and fruit and the taste would be fine. I have not tried it with a fountain as yet. I think it would be nice to use for making chocolate mousse or baking with the little ones and if you are looking for a cheaper chocolate for the cooking days with the little ones. I think it would be a cheaper way saving money on these occasions for those rainy days and school holidays.

I think for large families on a budget it would be suitable for the little ones as they would probably find it suitable just as my grandson found it to taste. I do not recommend it if you are a chocolate lover as I do not think it would suit the taste buds in the same way as with a branded one. I will try not to buy this one again in the future unless my grandson picks it up again lol. It does not give me the taste I expect from a chocolate bar but for the price it I guess it is probably worth the value price for some people but not for me I am afraid.

This lower brand of chocolate also comes in 2 other flavours, white chocolate and a dark one, I have yet to try the dark flavour but I loved the white flavoured one.

I give this chocolate bar a 2 star.

Also on Dooyoo under my username Pinklady1.

Thank you for reading my review.

• xd-o-n-z-x published 06/11/2014
    vh
  • Dentolux published 03/07/2011
    Not great, but it's cheap and keeps the grandchildren happy so it's not all bad.
  • Jake_Speed published 20/05/2011
    It's a shame it wasn't better! Nicely reviewed again.