Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself Three Bean and Tomato soup

Review of "Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself Three Bean and Tomato soup"

published 05/08/2010 | dioraaz
Member since : 06/04/2010
Pro Low in Fat, Calories and Sugars. High in Fibre and Protein. Cheap & Suitable for Vegetarians.
Cons You need a can opener... otherwise none!
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Super Soup!!! Don't Knock it till you tried it!"

Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself Three Bean and Tomato soup

These days for 50p you think you can just about get a packet of crisp or a bar of chocolate and let’s face it for most of us it is hitting us hard and we are making huge cut backs. However Sainsbury’s has released this beautiful tasting soup, which from King to Pauper can enjoy. This handy soup has enough benefits that you will become a complete convert, what makes it better, this well kept gem is only 52p!

In order to save for my holidays I had to make some major cutbacks, which included cutting my lunch bills, which were costing me around £5-6 a day… horrendous! Also when you think of holidays of course it is time to start shedding some weight as well. I thought soup would be a great idea, they tend to be low in fat and are cheap, I realised that they maybe cheap but when it comes to fat content they can be deceiving too. This soup (based on half a can basis) has only:

114 Calories
1.8g Fat
0.2g Saturate fat
0.85g Salt
4.8g Total Sugars

So this product was high on my list to buy. What sealed the deal was that it had high-levels of protein and provided 16% of your recommended daily amount. This was beneficial for me, as it will provide added protein for my gym workouts. This is also great for vegetarians who sometimes lack protein, as they do not eat meat. The soup contains a bit of Chilli Seasoning, chilli burns calories faster than normal food without chillis. Lastly the product has celery, which is known to be beneficial for dieters that are trying to lose weight.

So it is cheap, beneficial and Sainsbury’s own brand. Now what was bugging me was that this product was going to taste vile… how wrong was I!

After can opening, tipping out the content into a bowl and microwaving the product for 4mins, it was hot, simmering and the smell was pleasant.
The consistency of the product was thick and not runny like most canned soups, it was rich in colour and it had loads of beans and lentils, so it wasn’t just all liquefied. The consistency is a little thicker as it has milk and tomato puree, which gives it full flavour and thickness. The taste was flavoursome; it was aromatic and was not as spicy as I thought it would be. If you find that it is too thick, then add a little bit of water.

So let me just recap the benefits:

- Low in calories, fat and sugars
- High in Protein
- High in Fibre
- Half a can provides you with ‘1’ of your ‘5 A Day’
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Microwaveable (not the can)
- Collect Nectar Points
- Only 1.5 Weight Watcher Points
- Can is Recyclable
- Only 52p for 400ml of Soup
- Gluten Free

You can buy this Super Soup at Sainsbury’s. Just don’t tell Sainsbury’s about this review otherwise they will up the price, lol.

I also use this as a Chilli Con Carne Base. Just add meat, a little bit of salt and chilli and voilla you have Chilli Con Carne!

• SweetTooth93 published 23/01/2011
    I wish I had a Sainsbury's closer to me cause this sounds lovely!
  • jesi published 09/08/2010
    I can't have milk, so this is really not suitable for me . . . pity, as I'm rather partial to a bit of chilli . . . ♥ jesi ♥
  • debmercury published 08/08/2010
    Sounds nice and its healthy :o) x