Dishwasher Product

Review of "Sainsburys Rinse Aid Lemon Fresh"

published 28/11/2015 | jo-1976
Member since : 02/07/2009
Thanks for all reads rates and comments x
Pro Inexpensive, easy to control flow, leaves dishes sparkling
Cons Exclusive to Sainsburys
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Yellow Rinse"

Sainsburys Rinse Aid Lemon Fresh

I love my Beko dishwasher (and admittedly its predecessor.) I just don't like washing dishes by hand and anything I can do to make the results super efficient (and avoid the dreaded hand washing) has to be worth it!

I generally use the more expensive branded 'combination' style of dishwasher tablet in my machine. Unfortunately, even using those, and the specific 'combination' setting on my machine, I can tell the difference in the finish of the wash unless I also use them in conjunction with separate dishwasher salt and rinse aid.
The Product

This is Sainsbury's own brand of Rinse Aid, which comes packaged in a robust plastic container which is transparent, allowing for an easy view of the contents and a method of judging when it needs replacing. The labelling is slightly different to that pictured here on the Ciao listing (as my photo should demonstrate) but the fundamental packaging remains the same - a simple and practical design.

The contents are dishwasher rinse aid solution, here with an added lemon fragrance. This rinse aid is designed 'for sparkling glasses' and promises to produce a 'streak free shine.'
In Use

Rinse aid is added to the special compartment inside a dishwasher. On my model, the relevant compartment is situated inside the door, so this needs to be added when the door is fully opened. My model recognises that the amount of rinse aid needed will vary according to the softness of the water in the area so it has a scale to indicate the water softness and the machine adjusts the amount of rinse aid it uses per wash accordingly.

I find the design of the bottle helps to administer the contents easily and to control the flow. The flip top lid is study and remains open so it doesn't get in the way during application. The dispensing hole protrudes slightly and provides a decent flow of rinse aid, whilst helping to avoid any mess or any excess being administered. I don't need to top up my rinse aid very frequently - as I only do so when the warning light features on my dishwasher- but when I do, I find I need about a quarter of the bottle each time and each application lasts for several months, even with daily usage of my dishwasher.
Results

For an own brand product, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the performance of this rinse aid. It is certainly comparable to the slightly more expensive Finish branded rinse aid that I tend to alternate this with. I can certainly detect a difference in the quality of the overall wash when I haven't used any rinse aid at all - particularly on mugs, glasses and other glassware items such as Pyrex dishes. Without this, glassware tends to look very dull and can also occasionally have a small amount of residue collecting at the base, particularly on larger glasses. This eradicates that issue completely and does, genuinely, leave my glassware looking sparkling clean as it claims.

I find the interior of the dishwasher itself looks visibly cleaner and sparkling when this rinse aid is in use and, although quite subtle, there is a slight lemony fragrance detectable when the dishwasher door is opened at the end of the cycle, although this can sometimes be overpowered depending on the dishwasher table I have also used.
Price and Availability

This is available exclusively from Sainsburys, online or instore, where a 500ml bottle costs £1.60, at full price. It is currently slightly discounted at £1.20. This compares favourably with the Finish version which costs £3.50 for a smaller 400ml bottle.

Overall Recommendation

This is an affordable and effective rinse aid solution that delivers sparkling dishes and a visibly clean dishwasher. If access to a Sainsburys store isn't an issue, I would highly recommend this product.

• justarube published 27/05/2017
    VH x
  • Chippytarka published 18/03/2016
    Great reviewx
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 12/12/2015
    I love my dishwasher too - I'm married to him!