Sainsburys Root Beer

Sainsburys Root Beer

Other Soft Drinks

Review of "Sainsburys Root Beer"

published 07/04/2003 | tracey_angel
Member since : 18/11/2002
Pro Its unusual taste
Cons Its unusual taste

"Do you think I could gargle with this"

Firstly I would like to thank Starsally for telling me that there was a space to write about my favourite soft drink. So thank you Starsally.

Among most of my friends, it seems that I am the only one who likes to drink Root Beer. This I cannot understand as I think that it is one of the most refreshing drinks around.

A well-known fast food chain first introduced me to this. I bought my first one and from then on I was hooked. Unfortunately in time they discontinued this flavour at their branches and I can say that I was well and truly gutted.

I have searched far and wide, while on my travels, tried this brand and that brand. All in all I have tried a far few combinations. I am now happy to report that I have found a brand that I am happy with.

Would you believe I have found this at Asda? I was looking for my children’s favourite fizzy drink, when low and behold there was Root Beer. Needless to say I forgot the children’s drinks and bought the pack of six that they come in.

The Company that make this particular brand are called Carters. Eric Carter founded E. Carter and Co in 1894.

The outer packaging is made of cardboard wrapped around six cans. The top of this pack is a solid blue colour with no writing on. There are the two carry-holes, which make carrying easier. Either side of the package in the background is a slightly blurred photograph of an American Flag overlaid with the words ‘Carters, REFRESHING ROOT BEER. BEST SERVED CHILLED.”

Take one of these cans out of the package, and you will see the same blurred American Flag with the same words as the outer package, this time printed twice on the can. At the back of the can (if a can has a back in reality) you are informed that this is a carbonated fruit flavour soft drink with sugar and sweeteners. It is amazing what can be made with water, sugar, one E number, preservatives and sweeteners today.

Once the cans have been chilled, I personally do think that they do taste better chilled. You pull open the can and are greeted with a loudish Fizz as you puncture the can. Take time to smell what you are about to drink, it sure has a different smell to all the other soft drinks, in fairness the smell to me means a fresh clean medical aroma. Now take a sip and let it tingle on your tongue. I think that Root Beer has a unique taste all of its own. Yes some of my friends and some new friends that I have met on Ciao seem to think that it has a taste of a certain antiseptic liquid. Me well I can see their point of view, as it does seem to taste and smell like antiseptic but I still think that it is a refreshing, mouth tingling drink. I would like to say, that if they could I would like the taste just that little bit stronger.

Nutritional Information (per 100ml)

Energy 147kj/34.5kcal
Of which saturates NIL
Fibre NIL
Sodium Trace

Each can holds 330ml.

The cost of this pack was £1.19, which works out at just under 20p per can. I do think that is very good value.

I have found that you can make your own Root Beer at home, but it is just as easy to buy it in.

If you like an unusual tasting drink, then pour a chilled can over some ice and place a slice of freshly cut Lemon. Now that is a perfect drink for a hot summers day.

So relax and enjoy.

Trace.

• Martinscholes published 03/09/2004
    Carters, you say?? Wow! I'll have to look out for this! (I'll never forgive the clown (slight joke, there!) for stopping selling Root Beer!
  • The_halo published 25/08/2004
    I LOVE root beer! Carters brand is the best of a bad bunch here in the UK tho, its a lot better than the Sainsburys own label variety thats for sure but still doesnt taste like the real stuff from the USA! When I was out there I tried as many different types as possible, even tried one with vanilla flavour in it too! MMMmmmm!! Now I'm off to asda...
  • barrie1974 published 30/09/2003
    I love root beer and have searched the UK for it. I am aware of Carter's and you can buy 2 litre bottles of Sainsburys own brands. I however don't because both of these are just pale imitations of the real thing. Carter's is just an acidic mixture of sugar and chemicals not enough like the smooth taste of authentic american brands to warrant buying. The american brands are still made to traditional recipies and are fantastic. If you are in the states I can recommend Stewart's (in traditional brown glass bottles). You can but A&W from cybercandy here in the UK but it costs about £1 a can and in my opinion isn't the best america has to offer. The only way to get decent rootbeer at good prices is to bombard ASDA with emails to get them to import traditional american brands through their parent company Wallmart. Go on you know it makes sense.