Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner

Review of "Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner"

published 05/04/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Back after a rather busy bank holiday week!
Pro Good quality, quick-release spring, simple design.
Cons If you want a keyring then you might fancy a colourful design.
Design

"Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner"

First impressions

If you have done any sort of climbing then the chances are you will have come across the carabiner clip. This is a safety metal loop which is designed for attaching components together but allowing them to quickly be released. You can buy spring-loaded carabiner clips which are very quick release. The ‘gate’ can be pushed with your thumb to release a length of cord, for example. The alternative is a carabiner clip with a screwgate. With the second option you have a spring-loaded gate but the difference is that this can screw into place for a more secure fixing.

Here we have the Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner. This is just a bog standard carabiner clip and has a quick-release gate which is spring-loaded. It is a rather basic but functional carabiner clip without all of the fancy features and colours/designs that some models come with. It is all you need, but some people prefer the more complicated (but secure) systems.

My experience

I have seen a programme recently on TV involving Bear Grylls. Here we saw ‘celebrities’ rock-climbing, and we found that it is extremely important to have at least one carabiner clip attached to the main rope at any one time. If you are not attached to the main line then you could fall and die, so this is how critical safety can be at these heights.

The caribiner clip might look extremely simple, but the fact that it can so easily be unclipped yet still has a very secure fixing is a huge advantage for the user. The Salewa branded caribiner we have here is basic but serves me very well. I do not use it for rock-climbing, though it does serve me very well as a means of attaching a section of material to a main rope. I know people that use them as keyrings and for securing items that are less critical than the situations you could encounter on the side of a cliff, but they do look great, don’t you think?

The quality is very high even though the looks are rather plain. The Salewa Fly Straight carabiner is rather plain but it is available in a small range of colours. I have never had a problem with any of my caribiner clips, though I must admit I have not owned very many. They are very reliable and ideal for every day uses. I am sure we could all think of one, whether it be to attach a locker key to your belt loop at work, or for other situations where a clip may be required.

Price and availability

You can buy the cheaper carabiners for just a few pounds, with the major brands commanding higher prices up to £15 and beyond. You get what you pay for, but the Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner can be bought for under a tenner if you shop around.

Final thoughts

I am very happy with the Salewa Fly Straight Carabiner. Some carabiner clips carry a warning that they are not designed for climbing. This is because they are not fully tested for the loads involved in carrying a full body weight, but they would make a cheap and cheerful keyring. This caribiner clip is fine though, it could handly a rock-climbing expedition, so get ready!

• justarube published 02/01/2017