Salter Orb Kitchen Scale

Salter Orb Kitchen Scale

Review of "Salter Orb Kitchen Scale"

published 03/05/2012 | MEL0611
Member since : 24/09/2009
Mummy to be, bubba due end of March...watch out for Nappy reviews!!!!
Pro Great design, good price, well designed, easy to read scale
Cons None from me
Ease of Use

"Salter Orb Kitchen Scales......."

I guess we all have a few gadgets lying around the kitchen that we are guilty of not using. I am one that must put my hand up and say there are a couple of things that are tucked at the back of a cupboard but one item that never seems to get put away in my kitchen is my set of Salter Orb Kitchen Scales. Before I invested in these I was using a set of scales from Tesco, they served a purpose and they were really cheap but the measuring was becoming less accurate as I always had to reset the dial and then a crack appeared in the plastic weighing bowl. After looking around I fell in love with not just the price of the Salter scale but the fun and vibrant colours that they came in!

The scales that I brought actually came from Tesco funnily enough, I wasn’t tempted to replace my old ones with like for like but these brightly coloured ones instead! They cost me £8.00 which in my opinion was not a bad price. You are paying for the Salter name as well as the product. The scales can be brought from the Lakeland stores as well as online from Amazon. I often spot them in the store now so they are readily available.

The scales as I mentioned above come in a variety of different colours. They come in shades of purple, green or a burgundy colour. I have the bright green ones and they look really funky on my worktop, I say worktop as they never seem to get put away! The scales, once I had opened them consisted of 2 parts, the base which is also the face of the scales that displays the weight then there is the bowl that you put your ingredients into. I like the design of the scales, the base is not flat, and instead it sits onto two small feet and looks really funky!

I guess the main things about the scales are that they do weigh accurately. The numbers that are on the display screen are really easy to read and that’s vital, I don’t want to be squinting to see how much I have in my bowl! The pointer is a black colour and it is accurate and you can see whereabouts it is on the measuring dial as it is quite think but works well against the white background. The smallest amount that you can weigh with these scales is 25g, not that I often measure such a small amount on my scales. The most that these scales will weigh up to is the 3 kg amount; I have never even got half way I don’t think!

With regard to the bowl, I like the oval shape and I have found that this is great for pouring my ingredients into my measuring bowl. I feel that the design has been really well thought through and I find that the when putting ingredients into the bowl, that it is accurate as well as sensitive o it will let you know if you need to remove or add just a small amount.

The bowl to the scales is dishwasher safe which is another plus point for me, when using flour; I tend to also need to give the screen of the scales a wipe down.

In summary, I am more than happy to recommend these scales, a brilliant colour that make them fun and funky but also efficient and effective in weighing your ingredients.

5 out of 5 from me