Review of "Salter Orb Kitchen Scale"

published 10/08/2012 | brady519
Member since : 22/05/2012
Hello, thought I would check out ciao as I have been on dooyoo for a while now writing under the name brady58.
Pro good size bowl, nice colours, accurate
Cons None
Ease of Use

"Inexpensive and lovely looking"

Inexpensive and lovely looking

I decided to buy this Salter orb mechanical scale more for how it looked without giving any sort of thought to how well it might function. Luckily for me it works perfectly well as a kitchen scale and although not quite as accurate as an electronic one it does fine for everyday baking.

The reason I bought this scale was because I loved the retro look of it and because it also was available in some bright colours which was a nice change from the usual blacks and silvers that are normally available. I chose a bright red which goes really well with my kitchen accessories and really brightens up the room.

The scale comes in two parts. The bottom mechanical part and the top bowl part which is removable so that it is easy to transfer the contents to a bowl and also for cleaning.
The bowl is a good size and made from a strong plastic. The plastic bowl is quite sturdy and can be put in the dishwasher and microwave without any problems. It can also be put in the freezer without worrying about it cracking. Although it is also supposed to be non-stick this isn't entirely true and some foods do stick to the bowl and need to be scrubbed off.

The mechanical part measures weight in both metric and imperial so you can still use the old recipes without having to convert the measurements. As the numbers are white against a red background they are quite easy to see and I don't have to really squint or go up close to make sure that I have read them right.
They can measure up to a maximum of 3kg but you would be lucky to fit this much of any ingredient in the actual bowl even though it is a good size.

I also find it to be really accurate and have never had a problem with it giving me the wrong readings. If you find that the scales have creeped away from the zero there is a scroll wheel that you can use to make sure they are exactly on the zero before you start measuring.

I bought my scales in my local kitchen ware shop where they cost me £9.99. Being made by Salter you should be able to find these scales in loads of places and I would really recommend them as they not only perform well but they also look great too.

• kimwright published 16/08/2012