Sams Teach yourself JAVA 2 in 21 days by Laura Lemay

Sams Teach yourself JAVA 2 in 21 days by Laura Lemay

Review of "Sams Teach yourself JAVA 2 in 21 days by Laura Lemay"

published 17/07/2009 | thejazzyj
Member since : 17/07/2009
I am a teacher, beekeeper and rugby player in the South West of England
Satisfactory
Pro Good examples, Clear Layout
Cons No coverage of program design
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"SAMS Teach yourslef Java in 21 days - Too good to be true!"

I teach Java to sixth formers and every year I get al least one who goes against what I say and end up buying this book. On the surface I guess it looks attractive, 24 hours to learn a new programming language? Sounds great.

Having read through the book it doesn't do a bad job of teaching the very basics, data types, functions, procedures, assignement, iteration, selection all covered.

There is example code for people to try and the book extends to some simple User Interface work. The problem for me is that it skims over so much. At no point are people taught about sound programming concepts or the thought processes behind how you go about designing and creating a program.

Thge book also splits things down into "hours" to give you an idea of how far along you are. I decided to give it a try and read through the whole thing completing all the suggested exercises. It took me over 30 hours and I have been programming for years so hopefully avoided a lot of the simple errors.

• TheHairyGodmother published 16/09/2009
    Sorry but much more information is required to achieve higher ratings. If you add anything to this review in terms of additional detail and opinion, please do not hesitate to drop a quick message in my guestbook and I will come back and re-rate :)

Product Information : Sams Teach yourself JAVA 2 in 21 days by Laura Lemay