Review of "Samsung Galaxy S8"

published 10/07/2017 | MAYADY
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"good look"

The first thing I want to say is the screen: it's big and bright with a very high resolution. Its aspect ratio is elongated, so widescreen content is better for it.

The second thing I talk about is the design. I mean, visually looks amazing, but it's more than that. This is the first cellphone I've ever used that the curved screen feels comfortable in my hand. When it comes to mobile phones, I don't care much about millimeters or grams, I just want to feel cormfortable my hand and the most curved screen are not good at hand. But that's because of the frame, the transition from glass to frame to back glass was almost seamless without texture. Pretty good, but it's slippery, too. I strongly recommend getting a skin for S8, or even a case.

Other things I also like are the wireless charging, the headphone jacks and the Bluetooth 5.0. I love the micro SD card slot as well as the usb-c port ,the performance feels really fast so far.

Camera hardware is similar to the edge of Galaxy S7 Edge. But to be honest, the S7 camera is great, so it's not a big a deal to me, I said they didn't upgrade the camera. The front camera has improved a lot, and I think it's a good sign considering every lot of selfies I take every day.

Also, this device has a large super bright screen with a high resolution, so there are many pixels to deal with, the battery size is not very large, so I did not expect to have an amazing battery life.With the use of the first day, I end up wht thirty-one percent battery life left. A relatively large amount of use in a day, I charged it for back up at night and watched some YouTube videos with the maximum and maximum screen brightness and resolution (WQHD +) . When I checked it eight hours later, it was thirty-six percent. The number on the screen is basically the same. I don't think that's bad, I mean iPhone 7 + gets some very similar numbers.

Facial recognition is so brilliant- it works fast and it is reliable. I tried it wearing sunglasses, but it didn't work very well.

The fingerprint scanner is not in the best position. I have to stretch for it, but because facial recognition is so good, I have totally no problem with being on the back.

Galaxy S8 is packed with a lot of cool technology. But hardware specifications are not omnipotent. For me, the user experience is the most important thing when it comes to any type of device. With these, there are some things that can weaken the user experience.

The first is the home button on the screen. I think it can or should be bigger. Haptic feedback is not very good, it feels like ordinary mobile phone vibration.

Speakers are not stereo, and I know many people don't care about it. But I spent most of my media on my phone, it's strange to see an ultra high resolution video with gorgeous looks, while a small sound comes from one side of the phone. I just don't feel so ease.

The screen is also hard to use with one hand. So a wide cellphone like Google pixel XL is already wide but it is a bit uncomfortable to use, it doesn't matter. S8, because of the tall screen, the vertical stretch is of madness.

The last thing is, maybe, my most personal opinion, I know a lot of people would disagree, but I don't love Bixby. This time, it comes with a dedicated hardware button that you can't redistribute to other functions.

So if you're interested in this phone and you like the S7 edge user experience , you'll fall in love with S8. It's basically an upgraded version of S7.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 12/08/2017
    OK
  • Nymphypig published 12/07/2017
    Good info here :)
  • Secre published 12/07/2017
    Not bad

offers "Samsung Galaxy S8"